Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Which career is best - Teaching, Children's Nurse or Midwife watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm finding it difficult to choose a career. I just want a good, fun and well paid job. I either want to be a primary school teacher, a midwife or maybe a children's nurse. I did want to be a doctor but I think that is way too hard and I am afraid of not getting the grades. So my final options are teaching, midwifery or childrens nurse. pros and cons?

ReputationRep:
    Hello, this is only a decision you can make. My advice is, do not go into a healthcare career unless it really is your passion and you seriously want to do it, also make sure you do work experience in it before applying. I'm saying this from experience, I've worked as a healthcare assistant alongside nurses and doing the earlies, lates and night shifts is shattering, makes you grumpy, and you need a realistic view of nursing work so you don't go in expecting something that is nothing like the real world of nursing work. My mum is a midwife and is permanently tired, it's short staffed and stressful. Tbh I would say teaching is the best of those 3 but I think the only thing to do if you're unsure is find work experience in all 3 to get a good idea of what it would be like and make an informed choice

ReputationRep:
    Also this would be my list of pros and cons for each, hope it helps
    Nursing and midwifery - pros: job satisfaction, nhs pension, secure job, many areas to work in. Cons : stressful, shift work, often 8 hour shifts with no breaks, short staffed, reality of a lot of dealing with people's inability to control their own personal hygiene needs, poor pay for the amount of work.
    Teaching- pros: plenty of holiday, job satisfaction, plenty of promotion opportunities, lunch for free!
    Cons : often work required outside of contracted hours, under scrutiny of parents, kids that don't want to work, repetitive nature of what you're teaching (same syllabus every year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Physflop)
    Hello, this is only a decision you can make. My advice is, do not go into a healthcare career unless it really is your passion and you seriously want to do it, also make sure you do work experience in it before applying. I'm saying this from experience, I've worked as a healthcare assistant alongside nurses and doing the earlies, lates and night shifts is shattering, makes you grumpy, and you need a realistic view of nursing work so you don't go in expecting something that is nothing like the real world of nursing work. My mum is a midwife and is permanently tired, it's short staffed and stressful. Tbh I would say teaching is the best of those 3 but I think the only thing to do if you're unsure is find work experience in all 3 to get a good idea of what it would be like and make an informed choice
    I know being a midwife can be tiring but what about teaching. Think about all the work you do out of school hours. Marking books and preparing lessons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emmyx)
    I know being a midwife can be tiring but what about teaching. Think about all the work you do out of school hours. Marking books and preparing lessons.
    It's a different sort of tiring. You can't understand the feeling of nhs shift work until you've experienced it. Do you have any work experience? Also if you're not sure you could always take a gap year to help your decision maybe work as an HCA if you're seriously considering healthcare? It will practically guarantee you a uni place anyway!

ReputationRep:
    For nursing and midwifery the lowest drop out rates are 10%, some unis have an over 50% drop out rate. It's because people go into the degree without nhs work experience and don't appreciate what it will be like, it is not a career to go into without work experience

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.