Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all, sorry to post about what is probably an already talked about subject...

I'm currently a final year in a long distance relationship (south coast to yorkshire) and its going ok due to having weekends off and some holiday time etc. Was wondering if anyone has done it for F1? He will be staying up north most likely for a PGCE next year and as I didn't know where he was going to be I applied for the deaneries I wanted (will be in the South or South-west). Feeling pretty pessimistic and down about it and wondering if anyone has any success stories or advice on how to make it work when you commence foundation training?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    My sister-in-law and her boyfriend made it work when she was an F1; he was based in Germany at the time, and she was doing her F1 in Scotland. I think the main thing to remember is that however erratic your shifts might be, you will at least be earning money by then, so at least you'll be able to afford to visit him (or pay for a ticket for him to visit you) when you're free. If he had a few days' leave, sometimes he'd come to visit even if she had a shift during that time, since at least they'd be able to see each other in between her shifts. I know she also made a point of taking unpopular shifts when other people wanted to swap, so that she'd have a bit more leverage when it came to time *she* wanted off, and that seemed to work.

She's now a CT3, he now lives in the UK and they're still together. So yes, there's at least one example of it working! Good luck.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Any reason you didn't coordinate to be near to each other? What is your intention long-term?

Given the constraints of working as a doctor loads of people have to make long distance relationships work. Either that or face crippling commutes. You're far from alone!

I think my gf and I intend to head up north long term as its less competitive and we're more likely to be able to get the jobs we need to live together - potentially something to think about I guess.

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.