Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I am interested in a career in Civil Engineering, my local university has a HND course which requires 120 UCAS points (maths) and a C grade in English. I am currently study maths and if I pass I hope to apply next year, I will then want to progress onto the final year of the BSCs degree.

I have a few questions

Has anyone completed a HND and can explain how they found it and if it was easy or hard to go into industry?

Is it more beneficial to go into industry after I complete the HND and get experience and then sit the final year?

What happens if you do crap during your HND, obviously it is going to be hard to find work and you would probably not be allowed onto the BSCs year?

Would work involve working away from home a lot of the time?

I wish to work abroad when I have a few years experience, would learning a language be beneficial?

Hong many years in average does it take to become chartered?

And finally can anyone share advice on what helps to become a successful civil engineer?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mauritius99)
    Hi

I am interested in a career in Civil Engineering, my local university has a HND course which requires 120 UCAS points (maths) and a C grade in English. I am currently study maths and if I pass I hope to apply next year, I will then want to progress onto the final year of the BSCs degree.

I have a few questions

Has anyone completed a HND and can explain how they found it and if it was easy or hard to go into industry?

Is it more beneficial to go into industry after I complete the HND and get experience and then sit the final year?

What happens if you do crap during your HND, obviously it is going to be hard to find work and you would probably not be allowed onto the BSCs year?

Would work involve working away from home a lot of the time?

I wish to work abroad when I have a few years experience, would learning a language be beneficial?

Hong many years in average does it take to become chartered?

You need 4-5 years work experience plus master degree to become Chartered Engineer.

And finally can anyone share advice on what helps to become a successful civil engineer?
    I haven't done HND but I knew few people in university who done and they said it easy for them. That's depend on how much understand engineering concept.

Yes, but I don't think you will be able to sit in final year. you will be fast track to 2nd year. Then you can take out year placement in 3rd year to get industry experience.

You need 4-5 years work experience plus master degree to become Chartered Engineer.

Work experience is important as well as getting good degree. Try get engineering internship over summer and year out would be beneficial for apply jobs.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.