Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can't cope with the amount of readings (university) watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate social work student since this year and even though I got good grades last semester, I feel some kind of struggle this semester.

It feels like I cannot cope with the amount of reading that I have to do. The funny thing is that I DO read in my everyday life and have always been. I have three classes that I do consider an easy fit, two in which the readings are more dense and require a lot more concentration and dedication. I've tried to make side notes with those in order to actually get and remember what I read, but it takes for soooo long that I feel like I won't be able to make it.

I've bought books on academics, I've used the strategy of reading the intro, conclu, abstract, the first and last line of each paragraph, etc but I find it difficult to adapt to this new way of life.

Anyone else feeling this way?Hi everyone,

I am an undergraduate social work student since this year and even though I got good grades last semester, I feel some kind of struggle this semester.

It feels like I cannot cope with the amount of reading that I have to do. The funny thing is that I DO read in my everyday life and have always been. I have three classes that I do consider an easy fit, two in which the readings are more dense and require a lot more concentration and dedication. I've tried to make side notes with those in order to actually get and remember what I read, but it takes for soooo long that I feel like I won't be able to make it.

I've bought books on academics, I've used the strategy of reading the intro, conclu, abstract, the first and last line of each paragraph, etc but I find it difficult to adapt to this new way of life.

Anyone else feeling this way?

ReputationRep:
    Hiya,

Yes I totally know how you feel - I have been a book worm for years and then all of a sudden by brain seems to repeal information that I want to take in. Im studying social work in the UK but hopefully the following will help!

I have found that a study group is a good place to start - so you break down the topic and each take a section and then discuss it between you. Sometimes a bite size chuck is easier. I also like to use flip chart paper on my walls and write things down in a spider diagram with the topic in the middle and questions all the way round it as I find the more I look at something the more it starts to make sense.

Also try and make sure you take a break - sometimes not reading and just thinking about what you have read helps you to start analysing what you were learning. You will be surprised at the things which pop into my head when I am going round the supermarket!!

Try not to stress about it though as sometimes this can prevent you from allowing yourself to understand things in the first place lol.

You can always speak to your lecturer and say - this isn't going in and I need some more time - you will be amazed also at how you start to see things differently when you don't have to contend with other people in the classroom.

Good Luck though and I hope things get easier.

Mish

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.