Can't deal with my housing situation anymore.

Watch
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi guys.
i posted here last term about anti-social house mates. However the situation has only got worse and still nothing has been done about it.
I live in 10 bed house, 3 of the house mates are part of a gang and come from South end of London. They bring a lot of trouble into the house.

They first of all started dealing weed. I haven't got an issue with weed, but they started bringing locals in who were quite rough. The locals would run around our house, knock down our doors at all times of the night to get us to open the door or let them out of the house.
They also have squatters, these are gang members who have been kicked out of housing or are in trouble in London. They stay in the house for a few days sometimes weeks, they are replaced quickly with new squatters. They also tend to threaten or argue with other house mates and steal stuff around the house.
Then the gang started hanging around in our house. Music keeps us up all nights of the week. The door is constantly being used and so is the back door. The gang have also beat up a rival gang memeber in our house. They have stolen off our neighbours and been arrested in our living room.
They have now also started breaking in through our windows if the front/back door is locked. The last break in was at 3am on a sunday through a bathroom.
The house mates in the gang have got angry with our complaints, they friends threaten us and other tenants have been told they are 'going to get killed' if they continue pursuing the complaints.
We also now have sniffer dogs and police visiting our house weekly as it is a well established drug spot after 5 police visits in 3 months.

This has been going on since October.
I'm in my third year so I moved in temporarily with my boyfriend. I've been there now 1 and half months.
I've been appealing to leave my contract, also asked the estate agent to move me to another one there properties and they've refused.
The Uni said is it up to the estate agent as it is a legal binding contract.
The estate agent claimed to have evicited them, however this was now 2 months ago and they haven't left or claimed to have had any evictions.
The estate agents say it could take even longer.

I've developed depression, diagnosed by a doctor, had a hearing at work about my decreasing working ability and my grades have dropped by around 9%.
They're plenty of houses around the Plymouth area, but I'm scared of my outstanding debt in my current drugged den house. Do I move out and save my last few months of my degree and appeal against the contract or do I wait it out and hope things can better?

Please someone help me
AriesGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow, surely the estate agent would evict the Tennant for dealing drugs in the house alone! If I were you I would find a cheap place and move out to save the last few months of your degree and sanity! Sure you're going to be skint but I'd rather be happy in my home and have someone to study than think back and even blame possibly getting a bad degree result on your housing situation. See if your parents can help with financial cost and try to claim back your estate agent rent fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
mcgreevy1993
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by AriesGirl)
Wow, surely the estate agent would evict the Tennant for dealing drugs in the house alone! If I were you I would find a cheap place and move out to save the last few months of your degree and sanity! Sure you're going to be skint but I'd rather be happy in my home and have someone to study than think back and even blame possibly getting a bad degree result on your housing situation. See if your parents can help with financial cost and try to claim back your estate agent rent fees

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks for the advice, I started looking for new places to live today.
However, I haven't got any enough money to pay both so the best I can do is just argue the tenancy.
Surely I have enough evidence to prove I shouldn't be living there!
Chrissiep
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Wow this sounds awful I'm sorry you have to live like this. Have you taken pictures or videos? Because if you have photographic/video evidence then it will force them to take more action because you have evidence against them doing nothing to improve your living situation. My friends weren't in the same situation as you but they had some trouble with their landlord being unfair with the amount of deposit he gave back and they took them through a small claims court and won! Apparently they do usually side with the tennents anyway, especially if they have photographic evidence. That seems like a lengthily process but I guess it means you could get money back if you decide to rent somewhere else. I hope everything gets sorted for you xxxx

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
13.95%
I'm not sure (24)
4.35%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.07%
I have already dropped out (11)
1.99%
I'm not a current university student (263)
47.64%

Watched Threads