Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Applying to a Uni that rejected you... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I applied for a course at Birmingham University and didn't get a place even though I got the grades and I accepted and did my course elsewhere. I'm just finishing my 4th year (Masters) and a PhD opportunity has been posted up at Birmingham which involves pretty much what my Masters Project is and I'm excited to apply, but will they know I've been rejected before/hold that against me? Obviously I've matured a lot and things have changed since four years ago, but it won't look bad if I apply even though I was rejected, right?
    A friend of mine is applying for another PhD elsewhere and explained in his personal statement why he turned down their offer the first time but to me that just seems a bit out of place in a personal statement.
    Opinions?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by melinae)
    Hello, I applied for a course at Birmingham University and didn't get a place even though I got the grades and I accepted and did my course elsewhere. I'm just finishing my 4th year (Masters) and a PhD opportunity has been posted up at Birmingham which involves pretty much what my Masters Project is and I'm excited to apply, but will they know I've been rejected before/hold that against me? Obviously I've matured a lot and things have changed since four years ago, but it won't look bad if I apply even though I was rejected, right?
    If you're confident that you're going to get a decent Masters result and you can muster two good academic references, there's no reason why you shouldn't apply. The fact that it ties in with your Masters will play in your favour. Of course there are no guarantees, but I don't see why a previous rejection for a lower course will influence a PhD application. It's highly unlikely that anyone will remember a rejected application from four years ago anyway. I certainly wouldn't bother mentioning it.

A friend of mine is applying for another PhD elsewhere and explained in his personal statement why he turned down their offer the first time but to me that just seems a bit out of place in a personal statement.
    Opinions?
    Seems a bit superfluous when a PhD PS is about you, now - why you're the right person for this project at this uni. Not why the uni wasn't right for you a few years ago (which they'd most likely not be aware of anyway). Might be a bit of a distraction and is almost certainly a waste of precious word count which could be spent describing what a great candidate you are. Negative points in any PS/application should be avoided where possible as far as I've been concerned. But each to their own I suppose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Might be a bit of a distraction and is almost certainly a waste of precious word count which could be spent describing what a great candidate you are. Negative points in any PS/application should be avoided where possible as far as I've been concerned.
    I agree with Klix. I wouldn't write about why I was initially rejected, either.

ReputationRep:
    Cool, thanks for the advice, this is really helpful. I'll definitely take this into account. I don't know if I should mention about what my friend has written to him, but I guess since he's written it he's confident that it's the way to go so I should probably leave him to his own devices, only if it were me I'd rather people tell me something is a little bit off!

Thank you! :>
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by melinae)
    I can't see how they would know unless you told them. There's no UCAS reference or anything to flag you up to a record.

ReputationRep:
    The chances are that they will have no idea that you applied previously and were rejected. There will have been a four year gap between your first application; within this time they will have waded through countless applications. The only way that they will know is if you tell them.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys, really helpful! ^^

ReputationRep:
    Generally the undergraduate school and the graduate school will have absolutely nothing to do with each other. There's absolutely no reason why they'd know you ever applied there and no reason why they'd care. Never mention why you rejected them/why they rejected you. Rejection is more likely to come from you thinking its a good idea to talk about that when you should be selling yourself in every possible way and bigging up the course you did do and the experience you did get. Go for it and good luck!

ReputationRep:
    To add another voice confirming what everyone else has said - this is totally fine, it makes absolutely no difference that you were rejected before. As mentioned, undergrad and graduate admissions are handled by completely different people and have completely different standards.

Don't mention it on your application like your friend did, that's really weird.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.