Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey i have an imperial interview for chemistry and wondered what questions people were asked, especially questions to see how the candidate thinks, or of any websites I can access this kind of material? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    All you really need to do is go over the things you have learnt in AS and A2 Chemistry as that is what any questions are most likely to be based on. They just want to see that you have a thorough understanding of chemistry. If you mention any specific academic skills or parts of chemistry that you feel more confident in, they would tend to then ask you questions based around these things. Everyone is asked ; Why Imperial? and Why Chemistry?. The interview isn't designed to challenge you. Its just to give them an idea of what you can do. Most applicants who have been given an interview will also be given an offer within 2 weeks. Don't worry yourself too much, I hear that the interviewers are friendly and used to students making simple mistakes in questions whilst under pressure.
    An example of a more challenging question that you may be given would be for them to show you a complex molecule and then ask you to determine its physical state and chemical properties. You aren't really expected to get it right but to be able to explain your answer by showing good knowledge of the effects of the functional groups that make up part of the complex molecule.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mah97)
    All you really need to do is go over the things you have learnt in AS and A2 Chemistry as that is what any questions are most likely to be based on. They just want to see that you have a thorough understanding of chemistry. If you mention any specific academic skills or parts of chemistry that you feel more confident in, they would tend to then ask you questions based around these things. Everyone is asked ; Why Imperial? and Why Chemistry?. The interview isn't designed to challenge you. Its just to give them an idea of what you can do. Most applicants who have been given an interview will also be given an offer within 2 weeks. Don't worry yourself too much, I hear that the interviewers are friendly and used to students making simple mistakes in questions whilst under pressure.
    An example of a more challenging question that you may be given would be for them to show you a complex molecule and then ask you to determine its physical state and chemical properties. You aren't really expected to get it right but to be able to explain your answer by showing good knowledge of the effects of the functional groups that make up part of the complex molecule.

Thanks, are there any resources I can access these harder questions from? I read a lot about these interviews recently and I think you've summed it up very accurately

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately these harder questions could come from a wide range of topics. Your expected to just have a go at them , theres no real way to prepare for them. - Im also due to have a interview on 28th Jan ... i was very worried about the interview and have spent hrs going over what i need to do to prep and advice from cuzins who have gone to imperial
    ... turns out theres not much u need to do ... however anything mentioned in ur personal statement may come up and i mentioned an EPQ in my statement so i can expect a few questions based around that

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I submitted my UCAS application two weeks ago and Imperial was one of my choices ( chemistry ) , I haven't heard from them yet, has anyone been invited for interview?

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I submitted my UCAS application two weeks ago and Imperial was one of my choices ( chemistry ) , I haven't heard from them yet, has anyone been invited for interview?

ReputationRep:
    I received an interview several weeks later. You either: don't have high enough predicted or current grades or you may have to wait longer for a response.

ReputationRep:
    Hi Harry
    Was that more than two weeks for you?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Z.W63)
    Hi Harry
    Was that more than two weeks for you?
    Thanks
    Two to three weeks

ReputationRep:
    Have you heard a reply from them yet . I just got my offer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mah97)
    Well done, not yet haha

What did you talk about on your personal statement or get asked?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mah97)
    Hey when exactly like time/ date did you get your email with an offer?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.