Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm turning 21 soon and i want to treat myself to a nice car, but wanted your opinion on what to get? My previous cars I've been insured on have been vauxhall corsa 1.2, ford fiesta 1.4, polo 1.2. So all quite box standard cars. However, instead of having a big 21st birthday, id rather have some money put towards a car haha.

I passed my driving test as soon as i turned 17 and have 3 years no claim. I was thinking along the lines of a 1.8-2.0litre car upgrade?

My budget is up to £7500, tempted to go on finance if need be, but would rather pay for the car completely. The cars i had in mind was an audi a3 2.0 s line, golf gti, vauxhall vxr... Plus the year 2006 on wards would be ideal.

Thanks for any help.

ReputationRep:
    A bigger engine doesn't necessarily mean a better car, plus there are the added down-sides of more expensive fuel consumption, higher road tax and higher insurance.
    I tend to buy 4-5 year old cars as then you've got the period of vast depreciation out of the way without much risk of mechanical faults so they tend to be low maintenance.
    What sort of driver are you, would this be for town driving/motorway miles/country lanes? How many miles do you do a year?

I'd steer clear of finance if you can help it, you've got plenty of cash to buy a decent car as it is. Symptom of our generation that we always want what we can't afford ourselves, but there are plenty ready and waiting to throw debt at you!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah the main reason for wanting a bigger engine is the fact of being able to cruise at 70mph and not feel like I'm thrashing the engine, as in my vauxhall corsa 1.2, it was hitting 4000+ revs, just to get up to 70 haha. I would prefer a diesel due to the fuel economy and maintenance is far less! I'm more of a town driving/motorway guy, i don't commute loads as I'm a university student. I normally do around 8000-10,000 miles a year, it may go up if I'm tempted to take it to uni with me. Yeah tell me about it! Haha.

ReputationRep:
    Try Hyundai

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Gsaray1905)
    Try Hyundai

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree.
    Hyundais are really good, they are reliable etc. Plus they come with a 5 year warranty.
    Im on my 2nd hyundai now. My parents have ad 2 hyundais as well.

ReputationRep:
    wow that's good money to spend .. doesn't mean you should spend it all though! How about a Ford Focus 1.8 I can vouch for those and can pick up a really good one for £2000

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've heard Hyundais and Saabs are a good cars too! But i always found there cars are more for the older generation! Hence my dads looking for one haha! I enjoy the sporty look though haha! I've been saving up for a long time, so I want a car that I can treasure for a few years and won't de value much.. The 5 year warranty only applies when buying a brand new car doesn't it? Plus the value decreases so much after a couple of weeks haha

ReputationRep:
    You can get good speeds on a 1.4/1.6 if the car isn't too bulky or heavy.

Agree on the diesel engine though, but with petrol prices coming down so quickly at the moment I don't know for how much longer it will be the cheaper option.

Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.