Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    we're gonna be doing our speaking and listening exams for English on Wednesday after 'practising' today and well to sum it up we all sucked (luckily me and a couple of people were last to say out loud what we planned, but there wasn't enough time).

Anyone got any advice.

P.s its going to be one on one (student and teacher), but her ass might say e
    we have to do it in front of everyone on the day

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry, I was sooo nervous when I did mine and then they decided to not include it in our actual coursework in the end so you know that was good but also irritating! I'm quite a shy person so the thought of standing up in front of my class for 2-5 minutes made me feel sick inside. Anyway my tips :')
    1. know what you are talking about inside out. I don't know if you have individual subjects or its the same one or its sort of like a performance but know it well. This will make sure you are prepared for anything unexpected, because you never know. If its opinions based know your evidence/ reasoning and convey it with passion. Think outside of the box and expect the counter argument and have a back up plan to hit them with straight away. It'll show you're spontaneity !
    2. be clear, loud and confident. All three words I am not! However I decided that I was playing a character who was and I acted the character of this loud clear and confident speaker and so I was loud, clear and confident. They want to hear what you saying at the end of the day!
    3. Don't rush! you might want it over but if you say everything you have planned and still have to fill up a minute then you'll have to think of something on the spot! even worse than getting it over with potentially quicker in my opinion.
    4. Don't fiddle! although it might be a comfort it might be distracting to anyone listening to you and won't be able to concentrate on what amazing points of view and arguments you have.
    5. and I think my final piece of advice would be to have a good drink and A BIG breath before you begin. Calm your nerves and make sure you don't have a dry mouth!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bambooshoe)
    Don't worry, I was sooo nervous when I did mine and then they decided to not include it in our actual coursework in the end so you know that was good but also irritating! I'm quite a shy person so the thought of standing up in front of my class for 2-5 minutes made me feel sick inside. Anyway my tips :')
    1. know what you are talking about inside out. I don't know if you have individual subjects or its the same one or its sort of like a performance but know it well. This will make sure you are prepared for anything unexpected, because you never know. If its opinions based know your evidence/ reasoning and convey it with passion. Think outside of the box and expect the counter argument and have a back up plan to hit them with straight away. It'll show you're spontaneity !
    2. be clear, loud and confident. All three words I am not! However I decided that I was playing a character who was and I acted the character of this loud clear and confident speaker and so I was loud, clear and confident. They want to hear what you saying at the end of the day!
    3. Don't rush! you might want it over but if you say everything you have planned and still have to fill up a minute then you'll have to think of something on the spot! even worse than getting it over with potentially quicker in my opinion.
    4. Don't fiddle! although it might be a comfort it might be distracting to anyone listening to you and won't be able to concentrate on what amazing points of view and arguments you have.
    5. and I think my final piece of advice would be to have a good drink and A BIG breath before you begin. Calm your nerves and make sure you don't have a dry mouth!
    thank you so much (i know it took some time t write that too)

ReputationRep:
    Just pretend that you're having a general conversation with someone. Forget that you're being assessed so your speech pattern will flow naturally and portray confident so the teacher will also feel confident listening to you. 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by llama_whisperer)
    thank you so much (i know it took some time t write that too)
    That's alright, I hope it goes well!

ReputationRep:
    well, all is well cus I got 9/10 marks/ for my speaking and surprisingly I did not even stutter that much.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 21, 2015
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.