Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have received a few interview from my chosen universities when I applied to study social work.

I am only 19 and I am really scared I won't shine enough in my interview compared to others! They all say that I will have to do a written test and I am really worried about this as it is likely to be my weak point.

I don't want to do any other course or have to work as anything other than a social work so please if you have any information on social work interviews PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me as soon as!

My first interview is in Brighton on Thursday 22nd

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Donkay123)
    I have received a few interview from my chosen universities when I applied to study social work.

I am only 19 and I am really scared I won't shine enough in my interview compared to others! They all say that I will have to do a written test and I am really worried about this as it is likely to be my weak point.

I don't want to do any other course or have to work as anything other than a social work so please if you have any information on social work interviews PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me as soon as!

My first interview is in Brighton on Thursday 22nd
    Hi

Firstly, congrats on getting an interview!

I have applied to do a Social Work degree, too. I haven't received any invitations for interviews yet, however, I have been doing my fair share of snooping around to try and find out any hints and tips which may be viable to me.

Most information I have found is that many universities operate on a assessment, individual interview and group exercise basis. I can't speak out of experience, but I'm pretty sure most people had to look at a case study at some point and discuss this or write about it. In terms of interview questions, again I'm not certain, but it is most likely you will be asked questions which are asked in hopes that you can clearly demonstrate your motivation, further reasoning and ability to practice as a social worker. The questions asked may also need you to show what you know about social work, legislations, current happenings within social work and the media, perceptions on social work, ethics and values etc.

My advice would be to look at the HCPC guidelines and also the code of ethics for social workers. Also, if you have access to a library or would prefer to purchase a book yourself, have a browse to see which social work books are available to you. I am currently looking at Nigel Horners 'What is Social Work?' and would recommend this.

Safeguarding, communication, anti-oppressive values etc. would probably be good areas to research too, as these are many factors you will have to take into account when actually in a social work role.

Sorry I can't be of direct help, but I haven't been invited for an interview yet so I can't share my experiences. This is just what I have gathered from reading about others experiences, and what some universities feature on their 'entry requirements' page.

Good luck!

P.s, I'm 19 too! Don't let your age scare you.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.