Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I am writing this because quite frankly I fear graduating from University and entering the dreaded working world. Reasons are plentiful:

1.) I seem to have lost all sense of direction with respects to where I want to be in life (although I know I enjoy design/and the arts), I feel there is no clear defined pathway in my area, unlike that of Law or Medicine, where you have a defined longer term career to strive for.

2.) I question my worth as a designer, and I honestly don't think I'm up-to-scratch, although I've learned a lot from my time here at University I just think in the real world I won't last long. Although I have a part-time job already, and I have experienced working (since 16) in a somewhat boring and menial minimum wage job, I hate it and I feel like I will be disappointed with any job I end up in (since I am not good enough for a graduate job, and competition is off the scale), since my mind is too creative to end up in a dead-end job forever.

3.) I would ideally like to secure an internship or some form of placement (since on my course we don't have one) that adds relevant value to my resume and portfolio. However, because of the area I live (in a large run down seaside resort town) jobs are hard to come by, internships are non-existent and any form of job above and beyond min wage (i.e. housekeeping, waitering/being a hotelier) is very difficult to find.

This means that although we have a dedicated careers advisory service for graduates and students at the University, it is generally tailored to those at the main campus, and the advertises vacancies in faraway cities, bigger regions and global hotspots. Additional to this many internships seem to have a large cost associated with them and only the wealthy can afford.

4.) I wanted to pursue Postgraduate study because I am generally very good at the more academic side of my course, though I now have very little money to pursue this and so financially I would be unable to fund this. I am however remaining hopeful that the government will follow through with their decision to provide Postgrad funding in 2016.

5.) I am doing some volunteering with my local council designing some print medias for various things, though communications is very limited and unreliable and it just seems a waste of my time and not worth it.

Aren't employers going to be more interested in a candidate that volunteers abroad and has being on a placement as an intern, as opposed to me whom has volunteered at a local council produced sub-standard work?

Conclusively and finally, I just don't want to leave the academic world behind me, because I feel sort of safe and valued for my academic input and we share interests that go above and beyond everyday life.

I have emailed the Careers service at university, though I do remain a little despondent about things. They aren't going to tell me anything I don't already know, I'm already fairly updated with the goings on with funding and other vacancies. I know they exist but they don't exist in my region. I just think that everything they throw at me will involve me having to invest or splash out money which I don't have.

Quite frankly I can't afford to put down deposits for interns or to move to the other end of the country. For now I'm just stuck in this ****hole of a town until I can move.

Does anyone else feel the depression having over them?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Hey there,

I too am studying graphic design - and I too question whether I want to go into the industry once I graduate.

I think that one of the first things you need to decide is whether you want to be an in-house designer, part of an agency or a freelance.

Unfortunately, with internships, companies will rip you off and try to get you into an internship that pays really low wages on account for you being entry level. Lots of the industry are starting to frown upon this now though :woo:.

I get periods where I don't think that I'm good enough. For example, I am the worst hand renderer you will see - I don't like sketchbooks nor do I like working through loads of pointless paperwork to get to a point before digital design :no:. What I'm good at though is organisation and rational thinking as well as the marketing side of it all - therefore I've done several internships that include marketing and graphic design before uni. Have you thought about pursuing routes that are related to graphics - marketing, management - that kinda thing?

Have you tried networking too? Networking would be a good chance to get to know agencies in the area and whatnot. Also putting yourself out there on Behance and other such websites may lead to being head hunted.

Definitely look at post-grad studies with the upcoming funding, but perhaps look at doing one in a broader - and dare I say - more academic area of design and business?

The volunteering is good, but you are giving away your time for free which will only encourage them to use you more. Just doing projects by yourself for portfolios will work for when you want to apply to start within the industry.

Please don't put yourself down about your work - I'd be really interested to have a look if you could potentially PM me with a link to anything?

Your depression will pass and you will make it through this to the other side - and it'll be great! :yes:

Let me know how you're getting on please!!

Thanks,

RF

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roving Fish)
    Hey there,

I too am studying graphic design - and I too question whether I want to go into the industry once I graduate.

I think that one of the first things you need to decide is whether you want to be an in-house designer, part of an agency or a freelance.

Unfortunately, with internships, companies will rip you off and try to get you into an internship that pays really low wages on account for you being entry level. Lots of the industry are starting to frown upon this now though :woo:.

I get periods where I don't think that I'm good enough. For example, I am the worst hand renderer you will see - I don't like sketchbooks nor do I like working through loads of pointless paperwork to get to a point before digital design :no:. What I'm good at though is organisation and rational thinking as well as the marketing side of it all - therefore I've done several internships that include marketing and graphic design before uni. Have you thought about pursuing routes that are related to graphics - marketing, management - that kinda thing?

Have you tried networking too? Networking would be a good chance to get to know agencies in the area and whatnot. Also putting yourself out there on Behance and other such websites may lead to being head hunted.

Definitely look at post-grad studies with the upcoming funding, but perhaps look at doing one in a broader - and dare I say - more academic area of design and business?

The volunteering is good, but you are giving away your time for free which will only encourage them to use you more. Just doing projects by yourself for portfolios will work for when you want to apply to start within the industry.

Please don't put yourself down about your work - I'd be really interested to have a look if you could potentially PM me with a link to anything?

Your depression will pass and you will make it through this to the other side - and it'll be great! :yes:

Let me know how you're getting on please!!

Thanks,

RF
    I would like to gain some solid experience in industry for a medium to large sized company as an in-house employee ideally. I just want the professional experience, instead of having to work voluntarily (with people whom don't really know what they are doing or don't necessarily push the right avenues), and often for free.

Personally speaking, I don't think that I have the strength of character or motivation to go freelance, as I don't find that my work is interesting or strong enough. The financial aspect of having to organise a business and the structural/legalities involved scare me away from going freelance, although at heart I am very much a dreamer and enthusiast.

I have heard actually that a lot of these so called internships are just scams to employ students for cheap labour. One of my lecturers actually advised me against it, yet in other areas some students do rather well.

For some reason, I tend to look toward the more corporate larger graduate schemes and internship placements with organisations like the BBC (MediaCity UK), Channel 4, and other Media giants, as well as the more lesser known ones, because to me they would seem much more secure, reputable and rewarding (unlike volunteering on a local level with a small organisation). Although I know that this avenue is saturated with overly-hopeful candidates, and that it is very competitive.

For me, I just don't know exactly what I'm good at, or really who I am (in a figurative sense).

In a manner of speaking I'm the 'ideas guy'. The person that comes up with the most impractical idea that is so unconventional that it could work (in an idealistic world), but I am unable to produce it. Does this make sense?

I love concepts, ideas, and bouncing off wacky ideas amongst others. I love to lead and to direct, but I am not the best at producing quality ideas. More in theory of the ideas.

In relation to the more vocational side, I am not the best at drawing, but I do value the process, and like to doodle and scribble in sketch books and to preliminary sketches and such like. To me the beauty is in the process, a more refined process equates to a masterful product. Although this doesn't mean to say I can draw. I'm no Picasso or whatever, but, I can draw adequately.

Digitally within software environments, sometimes I can produce okay work, and at other occasions I'm just rubbish. Its really luck of the draw (also dependent on my interest levels).

If somebody asked me how good I was I would reply with 'meh, I'm not bad', I certainly have a very realistic outlook on myself, but perhaps I'm my own critic sometimes (especially with trying to achieve perfection).

I have thought about going into the associated roles such as marketing or management. These two words both kind of scare me. It may surprise you, especially coming from a very technical background, but I don't really like 'social media'. I use it, but I don't like the obsession with it. Unfortunately, many marketing roles ask for employees that are gurus with social media marketing and other such business acumen and management/leadership skills (all words that scare me!).

I've never tried networking on a regional/local level, however I have considered producing my own business cards to distribute.

With respects to Postgraduate studies, I am unsure as to whether the government is funding from 2016 or whether its just a provisional thing at the moment. Do you know if it is set in stone?

The problem of working on my own projects and sort of producing portfolio work from scratch is that, I am sort of setting my own agenda for something. I.e. I am not designing a poster for anyone particular, and so it is hard to articulate an idea when there are no external parameters. Are you familiar with this feeling?

I have a Bechance collection of work online, though I will say it doesn't get updated as much, as I am focussed on studies at the moment. Some pieces in the portfolio are older than others, so it doesn't accurately reflect my current skills sets.

I shall include a link here:

www.behance.net/ajm1990

I'd appreciate it if you could give me an honest opinion please?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by royal1990)
    Although I know that this avenue is saturated with overly-hopeful candidates, and that it is very competitive.

[...]

In a manner of speaking I'm the 'ideas guy'. The person that comes up with the most impractical idea that is so unconventional that it could work (in an idealistic world), but I am unable to produce it. Does this make sense?

[...]

If somebody asked me how good I was I would reply with 'meh, I'm not bad', I certainly have a very realistic outlook on myself, but perhaps I'm my own critic sometimes (especially with trying to achieve perfection).

[...]

With respects to Postgraduate studies, I am unsure as to whether the government is funding from 2016 or whether its just a provisional thing at the moment. Do you know if it is set in stone?

[...]

The problem of working on my own projects and sort of producing portfolio work from scratch is that, I am sort of setting my own agenda for something. I.e. I am not designing a poster for anyone particular, and so it is hard to articulate an idea when there are no external parameters. Are you familiar with this feeling?

I'd appreciate it if you could give me an honest opinion please?
    Hey there,

I've quoted the stuff that needs response and will go through this one by one.

It may be competitive but you never know until you try!

I've been that kinda guy too - I've got so many ideas bouncing around in my head but they're impractical as a student. I can't commit to them because I won't do them justice so have to go with a less impressive idea that I know will work.

The post graduate funding is secured, no party would want to revoke that as it'd be like the greatly unpopular tuition fees hike again.

Looking at your portfolio, I can see where you're coming from. Your work often has a great concept but key aspects - such as typography or layout lets down the design. But like I said, the concepts are great. Use FontSquirrel or Google Fonts over DaFont for quality typefaces that don't break or end up messing around.

You said you don't like aimlessly making things with no client or agenda. There are many websites that have briefs you can try. /r/52weeksofdesign & a website like this are just a few. Perhaps try working on your personal branding, if you're not already in your modules? Also revisiting the projects on your Behance would be great to enhance them as they're great ideas and perhaps your new skillset will be able to improve them.

I also had a little look around for graphic design studios in your area - there are a few, do they not take interns on? It's always worth emailing them for studio experience.

ReputationRep:
    http://unigraddilemmas.blogspot.co.uk/

I've just written this blog about very similar fears -- I'm so scared of leaving uni!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.