Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone. I am in year 11 right now and have picked my a levels but still can change them. I have picked history, English lit, separately English language, and maths. I'm just a but worried that because I'm picking both language and lit separately and not combined unis will considered it combined anyway. I don't have the option of combined English lit and lang. Does this mean that my 2 a levels will be considered as 1 by unis? And is that bad.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    In your case I would probably choose either one or the other - the 2 courses sound very similar and, like you said, universities may not consider both of them. However that only matters if you take both of them to A2 level as well!

Are there any other subjects you're seriously considering?

What do you want to do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by suirrel)
    In your case I would probably choose either one or the other - the 2 courses sound very similar and, like you said, universities may not consider both of them. However that only matters if you take both of them to A2 level as well!

Hey, well yes that what I was thinking.

I'm considering doing spanish and History dual honors at uni. But I really don't want to do language at A level, because I can only do french because I haven't done spanish before and I haaatteee french after doing it for 5 years now. I don't know what to do. I love English and there is nothing else on my curriculum that interests me. Should I drop one of the English at the end of the year 12 do you think?

ReputationRep:

Believe me, they're not similar. I recommend Lit OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Captivated)
    Believe me, they're not similar. I recommend Lit OP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Haha what are the main differences between lit and lang. And what do you mean by "lit OP"?

ReputationRep:
    Language is very very scientific. It relies a lot on linguistic theory and scholarship. Lit is obviously more literature based, looking more at poetry and the like

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kathleenodonovan)
    Hey, well yes that what I was thinking.

I'm considering doing spanish and History dual honors at uni. But I really don't want to do language at A level, because I can only do french because I haven't done spanish before and I haaatteee french after doing it for 5 years now. I don't know what to do. I love English and there is nothing else on my curriculum that interests me. Should I drop one of the English at the end of the year 12 do you think?
    Hmm well are you sure uni courses would let you do a language at university level without having studied a MFL to A level?

You should do A levels you enjoy, so if you prefer English then do both lit and lang!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm well are you sure uni courses would let you do a6 language at university level without having studied a MFL to A level?

You should do A levels you enjoy, so if you prefer English then do both lit and lang!
    Well I looked at Manchester and some other unis, for dual course 'spanish and History' it says they only require a language up to gcse at a grade B or A (depends on what uni) so yea. Also I'm worried that I shouldn't do a joint honors at uni because some say it's less respected because it goes into less depth? Any ideas

ReputationRep:
    Also I'm worried that I shouldn't do a joint honors at uni because some say it's less respected because it goes into less depth? Any ideas
    I don't think that applies at all to language things, as they're soooo sought after!

ReputationRep:
    Hi there! I went through a similar situation as you when picking my AS levels. I wanted to do English Literature and English Language as two separate A levels. My school denied me because they were 'too similar'. I ended up choosing English Language. If you want to apply to Oxbridge or Russell Group pick English Lit. It goes without saying that if you want to do English Literature anywhere, pick it, or the combined Lit&Lang option.

They are different, I protested so myself but to no avail. However top unis don't like both being taken so schools play to the whole 'make them applying to the 'top' a possibility even if they don't want to' card.

Good luck with whichever AS Levels you choose

ReputationRep:
    Haha what are the main differences between lit and lang. And what do you mean by "lit OP"?
    OP means 'original poster'

Language is more theory based like another poster mentioned. It lacks room for interpretation if you like that sort of thing. It also has a lottttttttt of terminology to learn and the essays are quite difficult to get my head around if I'm honest.

If you prefer reading and poetry then Lit is the way to go - I wish I had done it! Good luck anyway

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.