Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, basically I'm currently studying for A2s, and I've applied to study physics/natsci (phys), with offers from cambridge, manchester, bristol, and cardiff, with an interview at imperial on wednesday.
    My problem is, after not applying for deferred placements at any, i now want to take a gap year.
    so, i need some advice, is this generally allowed? and how would i go about letting the unis know/asking if theyll let me?

as a side note, aside from maintaining my maths slightly and keeping up my reading around the subject, i have very little intention of doing anything remotely academic during my gap year, the vague plan is work-travel-work-travel-uni but thats undecided. should i think of some academic stuff to do/say ill do during my gap year that may make them more likely to say yes?

any answers/advice/thoughts/abuse welcomed, cheers guys x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joedoubleds)
    Thoughts are that Cambridge are unlikely to be particularly happy with that plan. They're particularly hot on preferring Maths candidates to go straight away so I wouldn't be too surprised if they're a little nervous about a physical NatSci being out of it for a year. They do state in the case of engineering they think it can be an advantage to take a year out if you spend it doing a placement. I also suspect Imperial may have similar concerns. What college is your offer from? Some of them have less neutral stances on it than others, and some may be swayed if you can provide enough evidence that suggests you won't be disadvantaging yourself.

It is allowed, but it's really up to the universities, so there's no guarantee they will give it to you - they may just suggest you reapply next year, but obviously that again does not provide you with certainty of an offer. They're sort of agreeing to take you without knowing the quality of other applicants by deferring you . You pretty much need to speak to them about it directly - if they say no then consider your offers for this year, or take a chance on applying next year. I imagine the first way to start this conversation is an email or a call to the admissions team at each department.

ReputationRep:
    I also have similar concern. I got an offer from Imperial's Business School and really want to take a gap year before my master's study here. The Imperial asked me to fill in a request form to elaborate on my gap year plan, and this request will then be considered by a committee. I have no idea what to write on it. Can anyone kindly give some advise?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 22, 2015
Poll
“Yanny” or “Laurel”

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.