Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im an international student moving to a university in london, kings college. My parents are paying for my accommodation and tuition fees. They are also planning to give me 300 pound every week for food and going out. Will this be enough i heard the lifestyle in London is quite expensive, i spend about 600 pound on average a week in Kuwait where i live? Thanks in advance
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by khalid78628)
    Im an international student moving to a university in london, kings college. My parents are paying for my accommodation and tuition fees. They are also planning to give me 300 pound every week for food and going out. Will this be enough i heard the lifestyle in London is quite expensive, i spend about 600 pound on average a week in Kuwait where i live? Thanks in advance
    I think you'll manage to live on £300 a week. I'd be amazed if you could spend £300 a week if you tried!

ReputationRep:
    It might get you a jam sandwich, if you're lucky.

Seriously, you spend HOW MUCH a week on food and going out in Kuwait? Are you drinking champagne that's laced with diamonds and the blood of 50 virgins or something? O______O

Food comes first, going out is a luxury and comes second. And £300 is more than enough to spend on food a week, so you'll have ample for going out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    It might get you a jam sandwich, if you're lucky.

Seriously, you spend HOW MUCH a week on food and going out in Kuwait? Are you drinking champagne that's laced with diamonds and the blood of 50 virgins or something? O______O

Food comes first, going out is a luxury and comes second. And £300 is more than enough to spend on food a week, so you'll have ample for going out.
    Thats including clothes, petrol, food etc. Everything overpiced there

ReputationRep:
    I spend half of that amount per month. Mostly because I can walk to uni. Rest assured, you got more than enough. Unless, you plan to eat at restaurants everyday, which is an average of £10 a visit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    I spend half of that amount per month. Mostly because I can walk to uni. Rest assured, you got more than enough. Unless, you plan to eat at restaurants everyday, which is an average of £10 a visit.
    Do you mean half a week or month?, i cant cook, so ill probably be eating out quite often, but im trying to learn atm
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Strangey)
    I think you'll manage to live on £300 a week. I'd be amazed if you could spend £300 a week if you tried!
    I can give you a good run for your money.

ReputationRep:
    Christ. I'm at King's and first year my accommodation was ~£170pw. Outside of that, I probably spent about £40 a week on food etc.
    My point is, you could easily live off £300 a week even if you were paying for your own accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    Do you mean half a week or month?, i cant cook, so ill probably be eating out quite often, but im trying to learn atm
    A month. I must mention that I cook 70-80 percent of the time.

You'll want to cook once you're bored eating whatever restaurants have to offer... Sainsbury's and Tescos have £3 meal deals, but you'd probably be bored of that too. They're helpful when I can't be bothered to cook, though.

Just some advice. I noticed few things when ordering for takeaways (I'm not trying to be racist; I actually prefer Chinese restaurants to eat in but):

1) If it's a bento box or sushi from a restaurant, and probably most of what they offer on the menu, the food won't usually be fresh.

2) Some Indian restaurants give you really big boxes-- I once ordered 2 curries, popadams, and naan bread for £15 and it lasted me 5 meals!

3) Wasabi has £1.99 chirashi boxes (Japanese sushi salads) which are delicious, especially the spicy one but their nigiri box I think is more expensive than Itsu. Also, Itsu has a 1/2 price sale 30 minutes before closing everyday, perfect light healthy dinner. Actually, even Tescos and Sainsbury's have reduced prices when the expiry dates on their foods are near. You can get sandwiches for as low as 20p.

Be a smart consumer. No shop is definitely cheaper than the other-- they all sell some of their merchandise at lower prices and need to cover the loss with the rest of their products. Even 99p shops charge twice the price Lidl does for some biscuits.

--

If you can learn to cook the basics (pasta, rice, noodles), their is an assortment of curry pastes sold here in the supermarkets. Just have to stir them until your meat is cooked.

ReputationRep:
    London is expensive, in comparison to the rest of the UK, although the biggest difference is the cost of accommodation, which your parents are paying for you. Even in London, your social life can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Clothing is also pretty much as cheap or expensive as you want it to be.

WRT food, food in the UK is reasonably cheap. A lot of our food is produced in the EU/UK, which means the cost of importing it is much cheaper than importing food from Europe to a non-UK country. I know someone who came to study in the UK from Norway (a non-EU country) and he said food was much cheaper in the UK than in Norway.

I think you will be surprised as to how far £300 a week will go- most students can live quite easily on <£100 a week.

ReputationRep:
    We were actually calculating this in class today and £300 per week is definitely enough even including rent. You get student discount if you plan to take the tube everyday. There are also alot of free places like museums to go to.

ReputationRep:
    My parents are paying for my accommodation and tuition fees. They are also planning to give me 300 pound every week for food and going out.
    Wow. You will be loaded.

That is equivalent to a salary of about £18,600 and the UK average salary is £26,500. The minimum wage, working full-time, is about £15,600 but you won't be paying for accommodation.

A typical family weekly shop in the UK is about £100.

ReputationRep:
    Breakfast in a caff - £5
    Lunch meal deal - £5
    Coffees - £5
    Meal in restaurant - £20
    Theatre / cinema - £20
    Total = £55 x 7 = £385.

I suggest you only go to the theatre or cinema 4 times a week, not every night. Or restrict yourself to twice per week if taking a friend.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.