Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

TSR user making me feel down - what do? Watch

I recently received 5 uni offers - 4 conditional, 1 unconditional - and I've been quite proud of myself. Not the arrogant-I'm-better-than-everyone kind of pride, just silently chuffed with myself. I come from a poor background and would be the first in my family to go off to uni. My father didn't even take his GCSEs and my mum barely passed, so it kind of is a big thing to us.

Anyway, today on TSR, a certain user made me feel pretty.. well, bad about this. Like it's nothing. He made me feel like I'm useless and that he's better than me, made it seem like no big deal because I've applied to ex-polys (as opposed to the likes of Cambridge, who don't even offer my course). I don't have much self-confidence, even academically, so.. Am I overreacting? Does anyone have any advice on how to make myself feel better?

ReputationRep:
    Who cares about other people? My goodness if I sat around feeling bad about all the successful people I see and meet everyday I would simply stop functioning and im an Oxbridge-educated surgeon. I have trained myself to feel bad only when I have not tried as hard as I could have. That kind of bad feeling is healthy because it drives you to perform higher.

The greatest feeling in the world is in knowing you've done your best. What other people do in response to their circumstances and their opportunities has absolutely no relevance to your life. Don't worry about it and stop thinking about it. Feel proud that you've done your best!

Congratulations on your success.

ReputationRep:
    A huge well done on your successes.... you must be very chuffed to bits!!

... I heard a quote a while back that said.... "Whatever other people think about you or what you say has absolutely nothing to do with you".... People who say mean things must have heads full of meaness.... How fab that you aren't like that.... give yourself much more praise and feel good much more is what I say.. that will help your confidence more... remember, what you feel is up to you.... it's your body and mind.... might as well get yourself to feel good things! Keep going, sounds like you are doing brilliantly!

ReputationRep:
    well done, you should be proud of yourself, an unconditional offer is great!

you should ignore that user, they're probably just jealous :hugs: and think of it this way: you know what you've done is a good achievement, and you shouldn't let some stranger convince you otherwise

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jayne7)
    A huge well done on your successes.... you must be very chuffed to bits!!

... I heard a quote a while back that said.... "Whatever other people think about you or what you say has absolutely nothing to do with you".... People who say mean things must have heads full of meaness.... How fab that you aren't like that.... give yourself much more praise and feel good much more is what I say.. that will help your confidence more... remember, what you feel is up to you.... it's your body and mind.... might as well get yourself to feel good things! Keep going, sounds like you are doing brilliantly!
    I needed to hear this today

ReputationRep:
    'No one can make you feel inferior without your consent'-Eleanor Roosevelt

this is the problem with TSR's elitism it's toxic to the insecure

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 31, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.