Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What car did you buy and what was the price range for it?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by STUDYREVISE)
    What car did you buy and what was the price range for it?
    My first car was a fiat punto.
    I paid £1700 for it. It was a bit more than i was planning on spending, but at the time the scrappage scheme was still on so anything decent used car wise was more expensive.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a ford ka luxury for £1300 and it's been great

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lulagirl15)
    I bought a ford ka luxury for £1300 and it's been great

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh god, not one of those.

ReputationRep:
    I bought a 1994 Peugeot 106 diesel in 2007 as my first car. At £600, it was a fair price. Sure, it was French, slow and had faded paint work, but it served me well for 2 years.

ReputationRep:
    I had a VW Golf for £5000 ish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Oh god, not one of those.
    Noo I love mine! Besides it was cheapest for insurance & I couldn't actually afford anything else as I paid for it all myself working Saturday jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I had a 1994 Ford Fiesta when I passed my test in 2009. It was 15 years old at the time, and bought by my parents for me at a cost of £300.

It was brown, and I hated it, but it served me well. It was a steep learning curve in how to not drive like an idiot, because the car was very unforgiving. I've since moved on to bigger and faster cars and I've grown to appreciate the impact that car had on my driving skills. I still hate it though. Ugh, brown.

ReputationRep:
    I have a 2004 Nissan Micra. Bumped into something gently earlier today, there's now a huge dent just under the headlight, guess I've figured out my bubble car has crappy crumple zones...

ReputationRep:
    '76 Triumph Spitfire 1500

VFP 711S - apparently it's still on the road somewhere?
    I paid £1750 for it and the insurance was another £700 fully comp.

It looked like this....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by grace1011)
    I have a 2004 Nissan Micra. Bumped into something gently earlier today, there's now a huge dent just under the headlight, guess I've figured out my bubble car has crappy crumple zones...
    Or good crumple zones? They are designed to crumple, after all...
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by lulagirl15)
    Noo I love mine! Besides it was cheapest for insurance & I couldn't actually afford anything else as I paid for it all myself working Saturday jobs

Posted from TSR Mobile
    They are crap. The bloke who runs a garage where both me and my sister have bought cars in the past said that he wouldnt touch a ka with a bargepole. And he wont sell them at his garage. So they cant be that good.

ReputationRep:
    1999 Ford Focus. Owned it for 14 months. Paid £500. Thinking of replacing it sometime.

ReputationRep:
    2011 Ford Fiesta Zetec S. Paid £8995 for it. It's a great little car and it's really nippy with its 1.6L engine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    They are crap. The bloke who runs a garage where both me and my sister have bought cars in the past said that he wouldnt touch a ka with a bargepole. And he wont sell them at his garage. So they cant be that good.
    Agreed. They tend to suffer from terminal rust at a young age.

ReputationRep:
    Ford Focus 2001 €700

ReputationRep:
    Shared : 78 Volvo 164, paid SEK1000 for it in 1993, was going to fix it up real nice and sell it on for a profit but the only way I profited was 19 days later it got rear ended and we received SEK2800 for it from insurance.

My very own : 83 Austin Metro £600 and nearly the same for insurance. This was in 1993 money. Was a decent car but certainly wasn't the British car to take on the world it was touted to be.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by monkeyman1990)
    Agreed. They tend to suffer from terminal rust at a young age.
    And thats just one of the problems they have.

ReputationRep:
    My first car was an import Toyota Scarlet Glanza V, it was a 1.3 turbo. The previous owner had turned the boost up and it went like a rocket, unfortunately it was a nightmare to drive.

They're very rare and I never saw another one on the road whilst I was driving it, it looked pretty cool and was quick for a first car. I'm not sure why the insurance was cheap, it must be due to the rarity and small engine size.

I'd never have one again though as it was shocking handling, brakes didn't seem good enough for the power and it was really poor on MPG.

ReputationRep:
    Nissan Micra
    £550.00

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.