Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

So basically, I've just managed to secure a year-long internship abroad in Germany with HP, which starts this August (2015), and I have no idea where to look to find a place to live for a year! Does anyone have any experience working abroad/can recommend a website for me to find somewhere?

I'd prefer to live on my own, but obviously this isn't necessarily easy to do with having to pay rent myself of course.

I'm going to get paid EUR 1300 every month, and I qualify for Erasmus funding and I think I have some student finance as well but I'm not entirely sure about that. So how much am I expecting to have to spend on rent? I'm trying to save as much money that I earn as possible for when I come home, I want to look into getting a place with my partner on my return so I need as much money as possible. But I also don't want to live in a sh*thole either hahaha. :P

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations!
    My husband and I have lived in Frankfurt for the last 2 years (returning to England for Uni this year) and I have some tips for you.

Renting in Germany is cheaper than renting in the England, so your rent prices may come as a surprise! Frankfurt has some of the highest rent prices in Germany (along with Munich) and we pay 550 per month for a 2 bedroom flat within walking distance to the city, so I hope that can give you some perspective on Stuttgart as I guarantee it will be cheaper!

I recommend ImmoblienScout24 (you will have to use a translate feature on your browser) for finding single apartments, just be careful to watch out for scammers. Don't part with any money before you physically see the apartment and a contract. Also, be prepared to pay 3 x one month's rent for a "finder's fee" to the estate agents (sometimes you can avoid this but a lot of companies still charge it here), plus 2.5 x one month's rent for a deposit, plus a first month's rent upfront. Renting in Germany is super cheap once you get past the horrible deposits and commissions at the beginning! Utilities for a single person will be less than 150 euro per month.

If you are up for renting a room (cheaper for initial costs) then check out www.studenten-wg.de and www.wg-gesucht.de. Also check out Toy Town Germany as some English speakers advertise their apartments for sublet/look for roommates on there. It's also a fantastic source for everything Germany for English speakers.

Hope this helps! Feel free to message me if you have any more questions .

ReputationRep:
    HiI am looking for a single room for 4 months in stuttgart. which would be the best source to look for as its short term?Thank you

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.