Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently studying my A-levels in bio chem and math. I want a lucrative career, will work hard and be 100% committed to the job. I want a fast paced, high stakes life style and wondered whether a degree in chemistry: which I have five offers for, is the best option or whether i should take a year out once i have secured my A levels and reapply to a different degree? Help is very much needed!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lance Harmsworth)
    This depends entirely on what you want to do. The degree doesn't narrow down your career path significantly at this point - the whole chemical sector is available to you, plus finance, and other areas. You sound like someone probably targeting a graduate programme tailored towards leadership/management roles - which very rarely ever require a specific degree. It also depends on what else you think you might do instead. A history degree isn't likely to afford you as many options in that it doesn't really have such a major direct sector (like the technical skills you get from a science degree) - it's more about the soft skills from it. Again, fine for many management schemes.

Most of getting a job that you want will come from the stuff you do to show you're a 100% committed hard worker - the internships, setting up a business, the society involvements, the volunteering, whatever it is you choose to do with your time outside of your course.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.