Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Why do I end up harming myself? watch

Announcements

Hi all, I will keep this short as it's far easier to read. Basically, 2014 was a rubbish year for me due to the end of an important relationship and nearly losing a parent to cancer. In the midst of the treatment I was in a pretty dark place and hurt myself, something I've never done before but it was the only thing that would make me feel better.

Since then, my parent has started to recover but I've found myself in this dark place again for a few reasons. After a horrible day and an argument, the first thing I went to do when I was alone was to hurt myself again in the same spot but I stopped myself.

I am so overwhelmed and I don't really know how to feel or why I want to hurt myself when I feel angry, frustrated and down.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.mind.org.uk/information-s.../#.VL4lReIzCIQ

Thanks I guess..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Hi all, I will keep this short as it's far easier to read. Basically, 2014 was a rubbish year for me due to the end of an important relationship and nearly losing a parent to cancer. In the midst of the treatment I was in a pretty dark place and hurt myself, something I've never done before but it was the only thing that would make me feel better.

Since then, my parent has started to recover but I've found myself in this dark place again for a few reasons. After a horrible day and an argument, the first thing I went to do when I was alone was to hurt myself again in the same spot but I stopped myself.

I am so overwhelmed and I don't really know how to feel or why I want to hurt myself when I feel angry, frustrated and down.
    have you thought about seeing a counselor? or even your doctor? i know thats a horrible scary thing to do but it really does help. rather than hurting yourself, do something else. such as learn to play an instrument, take up a new hobby, just keep yourself distracted. about a week ago i threw away the one thing which i hurt myself with and its been hard but with the support of my friends i can take my mind off of it. i bought a guitar so i'm learning to play it, it really does help to distract yourself from it. your parent is starting to recover so you should do the same. i'm sure they'd want you to be happy as well. i hope this helps in some way x

ReputationRep:
    you end up doing it again because, to put it bluntly, it works... it lowers your blood pressure, provides a focus, something you're in control of, a distraction... etc... it serves a purpose to help you cope, but that doesn't make it a good thing to do, it tends to get worse, and you will be left with scars, it will get in the way of relationships and the more you rely on it rather than healthier strategies the harder it will become to give up

the best thing to do is try and draw a line now, think of other ways to cope, yoga, exercise, reading, drawing, journalling, walking, music, talking to someone

it might also be helpful to talk to your parents about the way you're feeling so they can support you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Don't be confused by it; it's a common thing for people to do, after all.

I think it's important to confide in someone you trust. Early on in our relationship, my gf admitted to me that she had - for the first time in her life - tried cutting herself. She regretted it but I was glad she decided to tell me, because my response definitely helped her to see that someone cared for her a great deal (particularly relevant here as bullying was the key issue). She's never relapsed.

As with any kind of depression disorder, confiding in someone is one of the most important steps. The simple act of telling a secret to a close friend/relative can feel like a huge weight off your chest.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 1, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.