Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

She called me a 'best friend', should I give up? Watch

There is this girl at uni that I've only known for 4 months and we talk quite a lot. Today she referred to me as the best friend at uni. This is obviously not a good sign, I thought I could get into a relationship with her but now I'm obviously so close friends with her, it won't go further than that. Plus, she's quite a playful person so it's hard to tell if she's actually interested in me or not.

Give up and find another girl or try asking her out?

ReputationRep:
    Don't you dare ask her out. You'll know what she say.

Girls are always playful but she's landed a blow to your hopes of bedding her.

Find someone else and don't be too friendly

(Original post by bittr n swt)
    Don't you dare ask her out. You'll know what she say.

Girls are always playful but she's landed a blow to your hopes of bedding her.

Find someone else and don't be too friendly
    I'm afraid that's just how I am

How can I not be too friendly towards the girls I like?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm afraid that's just how I am

How can I not be too friendly towards the girls I like?
    Don't always be available
    Don't always do what she says
    Flirt with her
    Touch her arm, hug her whatever make sure there's contact every time you see hee
    If she responds ask her out

It won't work all the time

ReputationRep:
    There is this girl at uni that I've only known for 4 months and we talk quite a lot. Today she referred to me as the best friend at uni. This is obviously not a good sign, I thought I could get into a relationship with her but now I'm obviously so close friends with her, it won't go further than that. Plus, she's quite a playful person so it's hard to tell if she's actually interested in me or not.

Give up and find another girl or try asking her out?
    Well, go out with girl and see if she is jealous.

IMO, guys that have been really friend zoned are not normally the "best friend".

I don't think best friend is necessarily a bad thing. I tell one of my best friends that he is one of my best friends because he is. I'd still be completely open to something more than friendship if he were interested..

ReputationRep:
    How do you intend on becoming her lover if you can't be her best friend?

Making jealous and all is child's play. Tell her how you feel. Do it. Go.

ReputationRep:
    That's not a bad thing, I want my partner to be someone I'm so close to that we're best friends, and someone I can say everything to. So this is actually a good sign tbh.

ReputationRep:
    One of my mates is in this exact situation...
    It depends how much you like her, I suppose. Try methods for getting over a crush, see if that helps. Try and meet new people and see if any of them compare. This way, you're still friends with her, so if you do later decide that no-one will ever be as good as her, you still have an in. If you did ask her out and you lost your friendship over it, then that's something you can't get back even if you later find someone that is 'better'.
    My advice: stay friends with her. Highest potential gain, with lowest risk/pain.

...so all you're really after is sex, is that it?

Too bad, she has no obligation to her. If you're so shallow that you'll stop being her friend if she won't be in a relationship with you, it's her gain.

^ typo...

I meant:

"...so all you're really after is sex, is that it?

Too bad, she has no obligation to you. If you're so shallow that you'll stop being her friend if she won't be in a relationship with you, it's her gain."

ReputationRep:
    I don't think best friend is necessarily a bad thing. I tell one of my best friends that he is one of my best friends because he is. I'd still be completely open to something more than friendship if he were interested..
    Yeah I agree

ReputationRep:
    'You're my friend' = right in the friendzone
    'You're my best friend' = the 'outer orbit' of the friendzone.

There is room for you to break orbit here, OP. 'Friend' is just above 'acquaintance'; 'best friend' means that you are held in some particular esteem. From your post, it appears that maybe she doesn't even know that you want to take things further. Perhaps make it a little more obvious.

ReputationRep:
    Mission abort. I repeat, mission abort.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Houston, we have a problem.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I feel the burn, after 2 days I was called 'mate'. That's when you know it's time to cut connects.

ReputationRep:
    Ah the old LJBF..lets just be friends.

Time to give up and move on..

Some women just collect a list of male friends who are often useful to them but whom they would never consider shagging.

(Original post by tammie123)
    That's not a bad thing, I want my partner to be someone I'm so close to that we're best friends, and someone I can say everything to. So this is actually a good sign tbh.
    Sometimes it is, because she'll just see me as a friend, nothing more... Just someone to be there and give advice when she needs it.

(Original post by JackS94)
    One of my mates is in this exact situation...
    It depends how much you like her, I suppose. Try methods for getting over a crush, see if that helps. Try and meet new people and see if any of them compare. This way, you're still friends with her, so if you do later decide that no-one will ever be as good as her, you still have an in. If you did ask her out and you lost your friendship over it, then that's something you can't get back even if you later find someone that is 'better'.
    My advice: stay friends with her. Highest potential gain, with lowest risk/pain.
    Well I made a mistake in the past where I fell for a girl who had no feelings for me, she was being friendly and misread that as being attracted to me. I will not make the same mistake this time. I have a feeling this is going the same way...

(Original post by VannR)
    'You're my friend' = right in the friendzone
    'You're my best friend' = the 'outer orbit' of the friendzone.

There is room for you to break orbit here, OP. 'Friend' is just above 'acquaintance'; 'best friend' means that you are held in some particular esteem. From your post, it appears that maybe she doesn't even know that you want to take things further. Perhaps make it a little more obvious.
    I think I'm already there. 4 months without any sign of intent just waiting for the right time. I screwed up, best to just stay friends and not think about it any further.
    ...so all you're really after is sex, is that it?

Too bad, she has no obligation to her. If you're so shallow that you'll stop being her friend if she won't be in a relationship with you, it's her gain.
    Yes, because I totally said I'd stop being friends with her :rolleyes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.