Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Shy personality, is this the right degree? watch

ReputationRep:
    I think overcoming your shy personality is something that you have to do it yourself. I know its easier said than done but sometimes you just have to take the first step of a risk. When it comes to patient contact, you can't be shy or timid. Although i guess its all about experience and you will learn to be more confident with time.

For my work experience I had to shadow a doctor, and I remember being easily intimidated by the patients or other staffs in general. However within the week, I really opened up and boosted my confidence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rox1995)
    I'm looking to study Occupational therapy where I know there is a lot of patient contact.
    I'm shy and have social anxiety and panic attacks. I find everyone intimidating and cannot try to act cool and calm around people as they always say I look really scared and awkward. I don't know if this has anything to do with me being 5 foot and slightly underweight lol.
    The therapist needs therapy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rox1995)
    I'm looking to study Occupational therapy where I know there is a lot of patient contact.
    I'm shy and have social anxiety and panic attacks. I find everyone intimidating and cannot try to act cool and calm around people as they always say I look really scared and awkward. I don't know if this has anything to do with me being 5 foot and slightly underweight lol.
    I just don't know whether I should study OT, what if I get scared of my patients! The only other degrees that I have a mild interest in studying is psychology or anthropology, but I have heard horror stories about these degrees being useless.
    Has anyone studying a healthcare degree overcome the issue of being shy or learnt to cope with it?
    I would really like some advice please
    I suffer from Generalized Anxiety Disorder and Panic Disorder.

I'm currently in an undergraduate teacher training degree, so lots of uncomfortable situations and interacting with people. It was really hard to adjust to at first, however I find when teaching its a bit like I'm acting and taking on a different persona. I sometimes be panicking inside but through practice (mostly infront of the mirror) and pushing myself I've found that although I panic inside, I can control myself enough to not let it show to pupils.

It is possible to put it aside and do really well I'd say go for it

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 20, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.