The Student Room Group

Internet Dating. Yea or Nay?

Title says it all. What do you guys think about internet dating? Like, meeting on the internet, living miles away, sometimes even in another country, and dating. Having a relationship without ever meeting them. Can it work?
Not a good idea at all. It turns people into monsters. Best way to get a partner is to meet lots of people without using the Internet, clubs and societies will do
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 2
I think watching the MTV show Catfish says it all 😳

Posted from TSR Mobile
I don't think it's a real relationship if they've never met each other before.
Original post by Dr Pesto
I don't think it's a real relationship if they've never met each other before.

This.

The internet is good to get to know someone, but if you haven't taken it offline within a week (if in the same city) to a month (if in the same country), you're doing it wrong.
I think it's a great idea. Sure there are some time wasters on there but primarily its just people (perhaps like yourself) who struggle to meet suitable partners in real. It's just part of the modern world. Easier to flirt as well as you need less confidence to flirt from behind a screen.
It seems like some people are lucky enough to find good partners on there, but as a female in her early 20s I'd bet that the majority of guys my age on there are just looking for a hookup, or perhaps have some fatal flaw (Major anger issues? No future ambitions?). I could only see myself trying it if I were perhaps in my thirties (or older-eep!) and really feeling desperature.
Reply 7
Does Tinder count as online dating? As in meeting, not just keeping it on there?

I couldn't keep anything going if there was no chance of actually meeting them, what's the point?
Reply 8
It depends what your looking for. If your focussed on finding a long term partner/relationship then a good place to start might be a quality on line pay dating site. There you will likely find like minded people ,you can pre filter and meet the possibles.

In this way you can shortcut the usual routes and avoid the used goods, slappers and meal ticket hunters who infest other sites such as POF.
Reply 9
Original post by Limpopo
meal ticket hunters

These are prevalent, watch their face when you suggest splitting the bill
Personally, I need to meet in person to be able to have such a bond. It's important to see how he takes care of himself, treats others around him, etc. Body language is also important.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'd also need to meet someone IRL before I called it a relationship. That said, I know many people who have met online and are in happy IRL relationships/marriages now. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest