Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm an American and I received a conditional offer for year 2 entry in Ecological and Environmental Sciences if I finish this year with a 3.25 GPA. I am deciding between Edinburgh and Lancaster for my firm and insurance choice. I know Edinburgh is considered a better school and I just picture myself loving Scotland, but Lancaster gave a much more thorough course description on their website and specifically mentioned work placement opportunities, and their student body is about half the size of Edinburgh's.
    Anyway, bit of rambling there but I heard Edinburgh class sizes are big, though their student to faculty ratio is bigger than Lancaster's. Anyone else have this worry?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm a current student at the university.
    I can't speak about all subjects but I took a huge course last year (Economics 1A with 450 enrolled in the course) and I didn't find it a problem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UPSDGoat)
    Hey, I'm a current student at the university.
    I can't speak about all subjects but I took a huge course last year (Economics 1A with 450 enrolled in the course) and I didn't find it a problem
    Okay, thanks!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also transferring to the U of Edinburgh next year from the US.
    Class sizes may be big, but nothing will compare to my 2000 student Calculus 2B lectures at UC Berkeley

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D_ecrivaine)
    Anyway, bit of rambling there but I heard Edinburgh class sizes are big, though their student to faculty ratio is bigger than Lancaster's. Anyone else have this worry?
    Lectures can be packed (though class sizes go down after first semester), but you don't really get a chance to interact with the lecturer in class anyway, so it's never really bothered me. Also, lectures are balanced with seminars, which tend to have no more than 10 students to a group.

ReputationRep:
    OP, have you visited Lancaster?

I visited after really being keen...it ended up not being one of my choices. Edinburgh and Lancaster are both very different universities and offer very different university life. Lancaster is more of a bubble, you don't have to leave the campus pretty much. Edinburgh you'll spend your time a lot more outside and walking around (**** in the winter, awesome when it starts warming up), walking up Arthurs seat at 5am to watch the sunrise (I have done this many times).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.