Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Police are investigating the defacement of Holocaust posters as a "hate crime". The defaces wrote "liars" and "killers" on the posters. Diversity of opinion of the Holocaust are illegal in a number of countries. Holocaust Revisionism is not outlawed in this country but objectors to orthodox views are removed from public discourse and tarnished. These types of things create an "underground" of opinion.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-30862274

On such topics, the concept of "Political correctness" (ironically created by Nazi Germany and Stalin's Russia kicks in and people are genuinely afraid to discuss.)

ReputationRep:
    While holocaust denial, in my opinion, is both idiotic and offensive, I disagree that somebody should face criminal charges for it (on that alone). Facing dissenters with words and level-headedness would be a more mature approach.

Scotland Yard is overreacting, I think. If I were in charge I'd call it vandalism, because that's all it really is.

ReputationRep:
    At best this is vandalism AT BEST.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dandaman1)
    While holocaust denial, in my opinion, is both idiotic and offensive, I disagree that somebody should face criminal charges for it (on that alone). Facing dissenters with words and level-headedness would be a more mature approach.

Scotland Yard is overreacting, I think. If I were in charge I'd call it vandalism, because that's all it really is.
    I suspect that in many cases where there is a social taboo on debate like Holocaust Revisionism, racial differences, traditional gender roles etc. the taboo exists as opposed to level headed debate because the person opposed to the orthodoxy actually has some valid points to make and the orthodoxy doesn't like it. There is the argument that the social taboo relates to destruction and death but there is no widespread social taboo on people who are pro war. The truth usually lies somewhere in between 2 opposes viewpoints but we have a number of cases where one viewpoint is fighting for dominance.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.