Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    These are some practice questions I've attempted recently. They seem quite basic so I want to make sure I'm doing them right. There looks like there's a lot here but the questions are very short
    Attached Images

• Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by pineapplechemist)
    These are some practice questions I've attempted recently. They seem quite basic so I want to make sure I'm doing them right. There looks like there's a lot here but the questions are very short
    Just looked at the first picture.

\epsilon can be any positive number. I chooes \epsilon=1 and your proof fails since it includes values of x greater than 1 in the |x-c| < delta bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Just looked at the first picture.

\epsilon can be any positive number. I chooes \epsilon=1 and your proof fails since it includes values of x greater than 1 in the |x-c| < delta bit.
    Dow need to choose delta to equal 2^-100?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by pineapplechemist)
    Dow need to choose delta to equal 2^-100?
    You're thinking in the right direction. You can't let delta exceed, 2^-100.

But what if I choose epsilon = 2^-200

Edit: Minor correction.

ReputationRep:
    As far as the other questions (warning, long list of niggles, but don't take it to heart - your answers are 90% of the way there in general).

Firstly, I'll say that I think these "what is the largest value of delta ..." questions are a waste of time - miss the point IMHO, so in a way I don't really care what you do for them.

That said, I'd say all of them should have at least the same amount of working given as you did for the one with x0=7, epsilon = 0.1.

Also, use connectives. There should be a flow from one line to the next - it shouldn't look like you just threw a load of equations on the paper. Just putting "so" at the beginning of each line would help a lot:

e.g. 7 < x^2 < 9,
    so \sqrt{7} &lt; x &lt; \sqrt{9} = 3, etc.

When you have something like: \sqrt{99} &lt; x &lt; \sqrt{101}, you need to explain why you've chosen \delta = \sqrt{101} - 10 and not \delta = 10 - \sqrt{99}.

There's a question where you say "x &lt; \sqrt{99}". Note that you ALSO need x &gt; -\sqrt{99}. It doesn't affect the answer here but you should show you haven't just forgotten this requirement.

For the two "show f is everywhere cts" questions, you use a variable c without ever saying what it is. It would be better to start off with something like "Pick any c \in \mathbb{R}" and end with "So f is cts at c for any choice of c and so is cts everywhere".

The line |x-c| &lt; \delta \implies |3x-3c| &lt; \epsilon / 3 is incorrect (delta is < epsilon /3 , but you've just multiplied by 3, so all you have is |3x-3c| < epsilon,

META: I wish people would either use LaTeX or just plain text to post questions, rather than expecting people to look at attached photos, but if you must attach photos can you please try to get the camera pointing at some reasonable approximation to "square on" to the paper? And make sure the attachment is the right way up as well (I know the OP is not guilty of this, but it happens, a lot).

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 20, 2015

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.