Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has anyone seen Birdman? watch

Announcements
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Now, before the Golden Globes, I paid absolutely no attention to this film. It completely did not appear on my radar of films to watch. Does it live up to its hype? Is it worth a watch? :holmes:

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562232/

ReputationRep:
    For me personally, it didn't live up to its hype, but it was a decent watch indeed. I didn't think it was all that great whilst watching it really (bits of the script were a bit poor, it's difficult to be genuinely interested in following any of the characters), but it keeps you thinking afterwards, and after sleeping on it, I appreciated it a lot more. I think the film had LOTS going for it, in terms of ideas, and themes that it was questioning, I just don't think it made as much out of it as it could have.

ReputationRep:
    What I really appreciated about it was the almost total lack of scene cuts. It was as if the entire film was shot in one take. I liked the disorientating drums in the background and the general feel of the film, but it is not one I would want to watch over and over again. I'd give it four stars out of five.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Well I might just watch it when it comes to my local (free) cinema late February

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirgilis)
    Now, before the Golden Globes, I paid absolutely no attention to this film. It completely did not appear on my radar of films to watch. Does it live up to its hype? Is it worth a watch? :holmes:

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2562232/

It's the best film of the year for me. If you're into action and explosions forget it though. This is a movie for the intellectually inclined.

ReputationRep:
    Well I might just watch it when it comes to my local (free) cinema late February
    you have a free cinema?

ReputationRep:
    I really wanted to see it, because I love Michael Keaton, but I missed it. I will defo try and catch it when it's online/DVD. I have heard it is really good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unfathomablee)
    you have a free cinema?
    I want to know about this 'free cinema' too...

ReputationRep:
    It's not a great film

The most interesting element is the description of the backstage to a Broadway theatrical play. The rest is psychological drama around a semi-psychotic ageing actor
    not very interesting

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    It's not a great film

The most interesting element is the description of the backstage to a Broadway theatrical play. The rest is psychological drama around a semi-psychotic ageing actor
    not very interesting
    Would you say the acting is good despite this?
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    I want to know about this 'free cinema' too...

(Original post by unfathomablee)
    you have a free cinema?
    I volunteer at the local independent cinema, therefore I can see any film on the schedule for free . Birdman's coming up in February, and given they hype surrounding it, I wondered whether it was worth a watch

ReputationRep:
    I volunteer at the local independent cinema, therefore I can see any film on the schedule for free . Birdman's coming up in February, and given they hype surrounding it, I wondered whether it was worth a watch
    Ahh, I see

ReputationRep:
    Its good, but not amazing. That's how I'd sum it up.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Haven't seen it yet, but it will have to be GREAT to beat Boyhood or Whiplash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Suzanne123)
    Would you say the acting is good despite this?
    Michael Keaton is a good actor, and perfectly credible in his role as the egomaniac "Birdman"

the rest is more or less indifferent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mariachi)
    Michael Keaton is a good actor, and perfectly credible in his role as the egomaniac "Birdman"

the rest is more or less indifferent
    I see
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    What a great watch.

Michael Keaton is stunning in this - and the whole film is simply wonderful. It isn't quite Boyhood, so I don't expect it to pick up Best Film at the Academy Awards, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gets a Best Director nod to be honest. The way it is shot is stunning, in one endless take, giving it quite a kinetic film. I'm surprised to see it getting a negative reaction from some quarters online, because I found it wholly enjoyable. Keaton and Stone turn in career-best performances, and Norton hasn't been this powerful since he was in Fight Club.

I'd urge everybody to give this a go.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it lives up to its hype, but it's pretty good. Michael Keaton is amazing. Not as good as Whiplash this awards season, though.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The drum soundtrack was so good, too, by the way. Not annoying in the slightest - despite what some critics have said.

ReputationRep:
    I found the constant drums really irritating.

The performances were very strong, but the script was contrived at time and the plot was pretty devoid of substance. It felt quite pretentious and too "written/directed-for-the-oscars" to me. It was well paced though and ended well.

It wasn't bad, just not great. 7/10.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.