Britian's great man of the people, Nigel Farage, still wants the NHS scrapped

Watch this thread
DaveSmith99
Badges: 14
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
UKIP leader Nigel Farage says the idea of replacing the NHS with an insurance-based system is "a debate that we're all going to have to return to".

Mr Farage told BBC political editor Nick Robinson his backing for the idea had been rejected by his party.

He denied he had "bottled it" by saying UKIP was now committed to the NHS.

He added: "There is no question that healthcare provision is going to have to be very much greater... and we're going to have to find ways to do it."

Last year a video emerged from 2012 in which Mr Farage proposed an "insurance-based system of healthcare".

'Totally honest'
He had been recorded saying: "Frankly, I would feel more comfortable that my money would return value if I was able to do that through the marketplace of an insurance company than just us trustingly giving £100bn a year to central government and expecting them to organise the healthcare service from cradle to grave for us."

The UKIP leader later denied that he had ever advocated an American-style model, saying he had alluded rather to the insurance-based French and Dutch systems.

line
Analysis by Nick Robinson
Ambulances
Nigel Farage tried and failed to persuade his party to back his view that the NHS should be replaced with an insurance based system like they have in many parts of the world.

Two years ago he said that he'd be more comfortable if the money he spent on health was invested through the market place rather than central government.

He's now making it clear that he intends to re-open that debate once the election is out out of the way.

Read more from Nick

line
Mr Farage said: "There is no question that healthcare provision is going to have to be very much greater in 10 years than it is today, with an ageing population, and we're going to have to find ways to do it."

A UKIP spokeswoman said Mr Farage was being "totally honest" about the problems of funding healthcare and said party policy was for the NHS to be "free at the point of delivery and unshackled by private finance initiatives".

In the interview for the BBC Radio 4 series Can Democracy Work? the UKIP leader also said if he failed in his campaign to leave the EU it would be "curtains" for him and senior colleagues.

Prime Minister David Cameron has promised a referendum on Britain's membership if the Conservatives form the next government.

"The loss of a referendum means curtains for Nigel and it means curtains for the current crowd here in head office," Mr Farage added.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-30877758
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 7 years ago
I have to wonder if the knee jerk defence of the nhs is not just evidence of poor thinking.

The nhs may well be the most suited system for the uk and it's future needs but should we not at least consider if other methods could provide a better level of care? Whilst ensuring universal coverage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
DaveSmith99
Rep:
(Original post by Aj12)
I have to wonder if the knee jerk defence of the nhs is not just evidence of poor thinking.

The nhs may well be the most suited system for the uk and it's future needs but should we not at least consider if other methods could provide a better level of care? Whilst ensuring universal coverage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Because the alternatives almost universally offer a worse service at a far higher cost. Every piece of research that exists shows that the NHS is remarkably efficient. The only reasons for wanting so privatise the health service are purely ideological.
Aj12
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Because the alternatives almost universally offer a worse service at a far higher cost. Every piece of research that exists shows that the NHS is remarkably efficient. The only reasons for wanting so privatise the health service are purely ideological.
Got a link to any of those studies? I'm genuinely interested in this.
DaveSmith99
Rep:
(Original post by Aj12)
Got a link to any of those studies? I'm genuinely interested in this.
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2.../17/nhs-health

http://www.theguardian.com/society/2...ealth-services

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10375877
MatureStudent36
Badges: 5
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DaveSmith99)
Do they?

They seem to think a joint public/private approach on the continent works quite well.
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
And other studies show others are better.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian...ealth-systems/
rustyappletree
Badges: 7
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
he wants an insurance scheme for immigrants. so then there is nothing stopping this being slowly rolled out on uk nationals.
drbluebox
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
Of course it wouldnt affect him as he can afford the best healthcare, it will affect the poorest though,
MatureStudent36
Rep:
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by drbluebox)
Of course it wouldnt affect him as he can afford the best healthcare, it will affect the poorest though,
Not so with the European healthcare model.

The poorest don't pay for private health insurance. Neither do the long term sick, pregnant etcetc
DaveSmith99
Rep:
(Original post by MatureStudent36)
Do they?

They seem to think a joint public/private approach on the continent works quite well.
But it doesn't work as well nor is it as efficient as the system we have here.

And other studies show others are better.

http://thepatientfactor.com/canadian...ealth-systems/
That study is 15 years old.

Not so with the European healthcare model.

The poorest don't pay for private health insurance. Neither do the long term sick, pregnant etcetc
And in many cases those who have health insurance provided are receive a far lesser service, preventative care is often non-existent, GP appointments are difficult to get, longer waiting times, more expensive drugs are restricted and so on.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Y13's - If you haven't confirmed your firm and insurance choices yet, why is that?

I am waiting until the deadline in case anything in my life changes (5)
17.24%
I am waiting until the deadline in case something else changes (e.g. exams/pandemic related concerns) (3)
10.34%
I am waiting until I can see the unis in person (4)
13.79%
I still have more questions before I make my decision (3)
10.34%
No reason, just haven't entered it yet (7)
24.14%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (7)
24.14%

Watched Threads