Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the run up to the General Election we have had some great suggestions from the community about fun activity for the site.

Something that has come up a few times is the idea of creating a TSR political party!

This thread is aimed at anyone who is interested in helping us bring this idea to life! There are a few options that we have to play with...

- we could have one big (fictional) TSR political party which comes together to politically represent the whole community. The community votes for their favourite politician within the party who then receives a prize.

OR
    – we could have a contest in which TSR members start up their own fictional political party (this could be in groups or individually). They come up with a name, logo, manifesto and write/record a speech. The winning party is voted on by the community election style or we could hold a debate and the winning party of this can be chosen.

OR
    - Any other ideas welcome!

This is all separate to MHoC and everyone is welcome to take part. The prizes will be confirmed once the contest has been set up and the voting would take place using a poll or a survey monkey.

Let the ideas flow!

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Kittiara)
    x
    [quote=Reluire]x{/quote]
    (Original post by Andy98)
    x
    (Original post by Aph)
    x
    (Original post by LucasADNorth)
    x
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    In the run up to the General Election we have had some great suggestions from the community about fun activity for the site.

Something that has come up a few times is the idea of creating a TSR political party!

This thread is aimed at anyone who is interested in helping us bring this idea to life! There are a few options that we have to play with...

- we could have one big (fictional) TSR political party which comes together to politically represent the whole community. The community votes for their favourite politician within the party who then receives a prize.

OR
    – we could have a contest in which TSR members start up their own fictional political party (this could be in groups or individually). They come up with a name, logo, manifesto and write/record a speech. The winning party is voted on by the community election style or we could hold a debate and the winning party of this can be chosen.

OR
    - Any other ideas welcome!

This is all separate to MHoC and everyone is welcome to take part. The prizes will be confirmed once the contest has been set up and the voting would take place using a poll or a survey monkey.

Let the ideas flow!

Spoiler:
    Show

(Original post by Reluire)
    x{/quote]

1) - one of your quotes didn't work!
    (Original post by Reluire)
    x

2) I like the second idea - would be an awesome way to get some different ideas and I think it'd get more people involved!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    1) - one of your quotes didn't work!

2) I like the second idea - would be an awesome way to get some different ideas and I think it'd get more people involved!
    Thanks for fixing that- I'm trying to type too quickly!

I think that is the way I am leaning too but I'm interested to seeing if there are any other alternatives people can come up with!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    I think the second idea would offer more flexibility for people, as there will no doubt be a wide variety of views out there. I think that it would be difficult to get people to agree on one manifesto.

I reckon that with people forming their own political parties, or standing as individual candidates, we could indeed ask them to:

* Come up with a party name (if standing as a party).
    * Create a logo (optional, not everyone is artistically inclined).
    * Think of five issues that really matter to them and create a manifesto of a maximum of 500 words (people's attention spans have limits) outlining what they would change, why they would change it and how they would go about doing so. For example:

Tuition fees - We will abolish tuition fees for all first degrees. This will encourage more people to make use of their skills and pursue the subjects they are passionate about. We will fund this by (funding solution of choice).

I think it will make people really think about politics, and hopefully analyze real party manifestos to see if they just make vague statements or offer genuine solutions .

* Come up with a speech/election campaign, as said.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    I think the second idea would offer more flexibility for people, as there will no doubt be a wide variety of views out there. I think that it would be difficult to get people to agree on one manifesto.

I reckon that with people forming their own political parties, or standing as individual candidates, we could indeed ask them to:

* Come up with a party name (if standing as a party).
    * Create a logo (optional, not everyone is artistically inclined).
    * Think of five issues that really matter to them and create a manifesto of a maximum of 500 words (people's attention spans have limits) outlining what they would change, why they would change it and how they would go about doing so. For example:

Tuition fees - We will abolish tuition fees for all first degrees. This will encourage more people to make use of their skills and pursue the subjects they are passionate about. We will fund this by (funding solution of choice).

I think it will make people really think about politics, and hopefully analyze real party manifestos to see if they just make vague statements or offer genuine solutions .

* Come up with a speech/election campaign, as said.
    (Original post by Queen Cersei)
    x
    Yup a format like that sounds good - we did a similar thing at my old school where we would then have a debate - it would be quite cool to have set debate times with maybe candidates going head to head over the course of 1 day...?

So, on a specific day they'd be a thread where people would ask 2 selected parties there questions... then lock the thread at midnight... something like that, although the logistics would take a bit of work making sure that both parties could do that day (would probably have to focus on weekends) and match them up well... I'd be really interested in something like that... Thoughts?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yup a format like that sounds good - we did a similar thing at my old school where we would then have a debate - it would be quite cool to have set debate times with maybe candidates going head to head over the course of 1 day...?

So, on a specific day they'd be a thread where people would ask 2 selected parties there questions... then lock the thread at midnight... something like that, although the logistics would take a bit of work making sure that both parties could do that day (would probably have to focus on weekends) and match them up well... I'd be really interested in something like that... Thoughts?
    Aye, that sounds really interesting! Depends, of course, on how many parties/candidates there will be. With events like this, it can really take off or it can be a complete flop, you just never know. I hope that it will be somewhere in the middle and we have enough parties/candidates to hold debates.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Aye, that sounds really interesting! Depends, of course, on how many parties/candidates there will be. With events like this, it can really take off or it can be a complete flop, you just never know. I hope that it will be somewhere in the middle and we have enough parties/candidates to hold debates.
    Yup, I totally agree - if it is in the middle like you say, that would be good, because it would open up the possibility of doing something like this which could be really interesting and very interactive for everyone - will just have to get QC to make sure it's all over the home page
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Yup, I totally agree - if it is in the middle like you say, that would be good, because it would open up the possibility of doing something like this which could be really interesting and very interactive for everyone - will just have to get QC to make sure it's all over the home page
    Yep, it will need lots of promotion!

Are you thinking of setting up a party?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Yep, it will need lots of promotion!

Are you thinking of setting up a party?
    Haha, nope - myself I'd rather just watch - I'm more than happy to help out with any of the logistical side, but there's no way you'd see me as a party leader - I assume you will?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Haha, nope - myself I'd rather just watch - I'm more than happy to help out with any of the logistical side, but there's no way you'd see me as a party leader - I assume you will?
    You could stand as an independent candidate!

I'm not sure yet. I'd also be willing to help out with the organisational side, and will have to see how the life/study/other-TSR-things-I-am-involved-with balance goes.

It's tempting, though, as I have strong views .
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    You could stand as an independent candidate!

I'm not sure yet. I'd also be willing to help out with the organisational side, and will have to see how the life/study/other-TSR-things-I-am-involved-with balance goes.

It's tempting, though, as I have strong views .
    Haha, fair enough - yeh, I'm really not being a candidate
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Haha, fair enough - yeh, I'm really not being a candidate
    Not even if you could win a TSR hoodie?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    Not even if you could win a TSR hoodie?
    Haha, I seem to remember that being a separate competition
    and I just wanna find out who's design won, and who's getting one!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    X
    So want to team up and win this if we can do groups.

ReputationRep:
    AT LAST

I wanna do one?

make my own party?
    how do I do it??????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by missfats)
    AT LAST

I wanna do one?

make my own party?
    how do I do it??????

Posted from TSR Mobile
    This is just the ideas thread at the moment, whilst the final format of how it'd be run is decided, but keep an eye here for more info soon, and feel free to share any ideas you may have!
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    So want to team up and win this if we can do groups.
    Sounds good .
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Sounds good .
    :woo: we have similar ideals and should be fun.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Study Helper
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by Aph)
    :woo: we have similar ideals and should be fun.
    Haha. Looking forward to your plans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    Haha. Looking forward to your plans

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What LANs

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.