Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Advice on how I can achieve an A/A* overall for AQA A-Level Chemistry. I have a B for AS so is it possible to get an A/A* without resitting? Any tips or resources people have found helpful would be appreciated Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~amethyst~)
    Advice on how I can achieve an A/A* overall for AQA A-Level Chemistry. I have a B for AS so is it possible to get an A/A* without resitting? Any tips or resources people have found helpful would be appreciated Thank you
    It is certainly possible to get an A or A* without resitting! The requirement for an A* is simply 270/300 this year (A2). So in theory, you are no better off than anyone with the highest A grade at AS if you want an A* (You both need 90% this year)

However, you will need above 80% in order to get an A grade. This value depends on what percentage your B grade was, the higher you got last year the lower you need this year. If your percentage last year was 75%, you need 85% in order to get an average of 80% and thus get an A overall. Or, in terms of UMS marks, you need:

480 - (last year total UMS score) = UMS needed to get an A overall.

So that's the theory over, and as you've probably realised, A2 Chemistry is a bit more difficult than AS Chemistry! I would recommend websites such as:

www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
    www.chemrevise.org (very good for organic synthesis)

As well as the "NewcastleChemistry" YouTube Channel, I would recommend using CGP/AQA Student Book for reading materials. Reading these books every day/every other day for a short while or so (on the bus is very good) is great for maintaining a high level of knowledge. It's important that you understand everything you learn, since (unlike Edexcel) the exam format has no multiple choice to help guide you! AQA often ask questions that require you to think and apply what you have learned.

There is a Chem4/5 thread which you can find here if you want to talk about anything on the course or if you are stuck. In a couple of months students will begin doing their EMPA/ISA which contribute 1/5th (20%) of the total marks, so it will be good to visit that thread for help.

As usual, do your homework, if you get stuck then make sure you find out how to solve the question!

Quote me if you need any help, either with working out how many marks you need or with more revision tips

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    It is certainly possible to get an A or A* without resitting! The requirement for an A* is simply 270/300 this year (A2). So in theory, you are no better off than anyone with the highest A grade at AS if you want an A* (You both need 90% this year)

However, you will need above 80% in order to get an A grade. This value depends on what percentage your B grade was, the higher you got last year the lower you need this year. If your percentage last year was 75%, you need 85% in order to get an average of 80% and thus get an A overall. Or, in terms of UMS marks, you need:

480 - (last year total UMS score) = UMS needed to get an A overall.

So that's the theory over, and as you've probably realised, A2 Chemistry is a bit more difficult than AS Chemistry! I would recommend websites such as:

www.a-levelchemistry.co.uk
    www.chemrevise.org (very good for organic synthesis)

As well as the "NewcastleChemistry" YouTube Channel, I would recommend using CGP/AQA Student Book for reading materials. Reading these books every day/every other day for a short while or so (on the bus is very good) is great for maintaining a high level of knowledge. It's important that you understand everything you learn, since (unlike Edexcel) the exam format has no multiple choice to help guide you! AQA often ask questions that require you to think and apply what you have learned.

There is a Chem4/5 thread which you can find here if you want to talk about anything on the course or if you are stuck. In a couple of months students will begin doing their EMPA/ISA which contribute 1/5th (20%) of the total marks, so it will be good to visit that thread for help.

As usual, do your homework, if you get stuck then make sure you find out how to solve the question!

Quote me if you need any help, either with working out how many marks you need or with more revision tips

Oh wow thanks a lot! You covered almost everything haha

So what you were saying about UMS points, for my AS overall i have 223 ums score which i feel like is a bit low :/ so i would need 257 ums points :eek: do you think thats a bit too high to get? I have been finding chem5 not too bad actually and just started chem4.. but you said that A2 is harder, so do people usually do worse in A2? I need an A in chemistry but ofc i want to try for an A* but at the same time i need to be realistic on how i can achieve it.

I did my ISA last week so glad thats over and don't have to worry about the paper till march. Right now im just worried about the main exams..

Have you already done a-level aqa chemistry? How did you find AS and A2?

Thanks again for the links and advice
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    The advice that you have already been given is great! I'll try my best to add some more .

If you're struggling with revision, make sure you make nice concise notes. Get all of your textbooks, revision guides and notes out. Start by integrating the information from each source into your new notes, but keep them brief. Try and make posters showing chemical mechanisms such as electrophilic addition (annotate everything!).

As for helpful resources, in any subject the key to good grades is by completing past papers. Past papers are great, they allow you to understand the exam style and structure - helping you get a feel of what's being asked of you. Start of slow and use your text books to help you get through the questions. The emphasis at this stage is to understand what the examiner is looking for. Once you've completed a past paper, go through the mark scheme and identify areas for improvement. When you're comfortable begin timing yourself, but again the emphasis is on you understanding what's actually being asked! It's only when you understand the exam and the types of questions you will be able to complete past papers properly achieving good grades.

Also, websites (such as those already given) are great resources.

Just to reiterate. to get a grade A at AS you need to achieve 80% of UMS marks which will be 240/300. To get a grade A for the entire A-level you still need to achieve 80% of UMS which comes to 480/600. So maybe sit down with your teacher and create a plan. See if you need to resit any areas and if so, which papers you should resit.

To get an A* you need to have enough UMS to get an A grade overall, but 90% UMS marks at A2.

ReputationRep:
    You're lucking you're given a 2nd chance to pull up your grade. From next year, a couple of exams after the 2 years of studying will determine our whole a - level grade. yay

ReputationRep:
    Oh wow thanks a lot! You covered almost everything haha

So what you were saying about UMS points, for my AS overall i have 223 ums score which i feel like is a bit low :/ so i would need 257 ums points :eek: do you think thats a bit too high to get? I have been finding chem5 not too bad actually and just started chem4.. but you said that A2 is harder, so do people usually do worse in A2? I need an A in chemistry but ofc i want to try for an A* but at the same time i need to be realistic on how i can achieve it.

I did my ISA last week so glad thats over and don't have to worry about the paper till march. Right now im just worried about the main exams..

Have you already done a-level aqa chemistry? How did you find AS and A2?

Thanks again for the links and advice
    You did chem5 before chem4? That's quite interesting. I hope you enjoy chem4 organic

As the other person said which I forgot to mention, for actual exam practice, past papers are the best. Get to know how the mark scheme works, try and do all the papers if you can.

And yes 257 is what you need for an A, which I don't think is unreasonable. Yes, you could resit but I don't think it's absolutely necessary and obviously it's extra stress and revision (though chem1 is actually quite a few weeks before A2 chem).

A2 is harder but students also get smarter (the point of education lol) so in theory you should be capable...just get a plan of what you're gonna do. Just keep reading textbooks and practice past papers when you feel ready. For now, focus on understanding chem4 content - there's quite a lot!

I'm doing A2 aqa chemistry, got an A last year and on track for an A*...(depends on how our EMPA exams go lol)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YounesB)
    You're lucking you're given a 2nd chance to pull up your grade. From next year, a couple of exams after the 2 years of studying will determine our whole a - level grade. yay
    True, but remember everyone will be doing those exams after two years and grade boundaries will reflect that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dylann)
    True, but remember everyone will be doing those exams after two years and grade boundaries will reflect that.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Of course but just imagine the stress and pressure :mad:
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by YounesB)
    Of course but just imagine the stress and pressure :mad:
    It will be immense I bet however, if you've prepared enough and done consistent revision you should perform well. I hope you do well when it comes to your A-level exams!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheStudent18)
    It will be immense I bet however, if you've prepared enough and done consistent revision you should perform well. I hope you do well when it comes to your A-level exams!
    That's true - thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for coming back to this thread.
    Can you get an A* at A2 if you got a B at AS.
    I got 156/200 = B
    I'm predicted an A. How would I go about this without resiting?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Of course it is possible to gain an A/A*. All of the suggestions above are excellent. - If you need more revision notes/questions etc, you can try my website. www.scienceskool.co.uk

Totally free - I hope you find it useful, and gain the grade you are looking for.

Alex

ReputationRep:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPt...PGdPz0g/videos

Found this underrated guy! HE IS EPIC!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.