In general i mean?
    Can she???
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by matthewduncan)
    In general i mean?
    Can she???
    Well yeah unless they forced gender reassignment on them which I don't think is legal.

ReputationRep:
    What do you mean exactly?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I guess but most guys I know who are/were raised by single mums are idiots or trashy chavs. They always got away with things coz their mum weren't assertive.

I don't wanna hear of random stories where you were raised by a single mum and turned out well good for you but most people I know didn't

ReputationRep:
    Depends on what you believe constitutes a "man".

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but ideally children need both parents in their lives.

ReputationRep:
    If you're asking if a woman is capable of literally raising a boy to become a man, then of course it is possible.

But I'm assuming you're trying to say if a woman could raise a boy to become a mature gentleman in the future without the presence of a male guardian, then yes. If the woman has spent a great deal of time growing up in a male dominated environment, i.e living in a household of 5 brothers or being closer to the father than the mother since birth, she would then know how to raise her child to become the ideal man in the future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decorpi12)
    Yes, but ideally children need both parents in their lives.
    Why?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It's very stressful to be a parent, let alone a single parent. The child will more likely be provided with less stability, which is a key factor in a child's development. A stressed parent may also more likely abuse a child/use harsher forms of discipline in a more erratic fashion. The child may also more likely suffer from poverty. A male child will lack a (stable) male role model and may resort to gangs and crime. I think those are some of the reasons. So, I think single-parenthood (usually single motherhood) is not ideal for a child's well-being.

ReputationRep:
    deffo, with me the **** my mom had to endure only made me stronger and more determined to focus on my work.

However i have seen most kids turn into chavs or become 'mommas boys'. One of my friends for example failed most of his gcses, his mom does everthing for him and now he spends his days playing cod all day long.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Decorpi12)
    It's very stressful to be a parent, let alone a single parent. The child will more likely be provided with less stability, which is a key factor in a child's development. A stressed parent may also more likely abuse a child/use harsher forms of discipline in a more erratic fashion. The child may also more likely suffer from poverty. A male child will lack a (stable) male role model and may resort to gangs and crime. I think those are some of the reasons. So, I think single-parenthood (usually single motherhood) is not ideal for a child's well-being.
    What about if you're raised just by the father?

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you mean by "to be a man". If you simply mean raise a male child to make it through adolescence, and live to be an adult, then i'm sure that wouldn't be too much of a challenge.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    It also comes with its own set of challenges. The effects, of course, are largely dependent on the parent him/herself, but the ideal model of a family for me is one with both a loving mother and a loving father. The lack of either will affect the child. Fathers are usually better at providing discipline and structure, and mothers are (again usually) better at nurturing. Call me old-fashioned, but I think those gender roles are present and necessary :P It's useless to fight them.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    It's probably easier with two parents, and it's nice to have both, but there's no reason why a single parent couldn't do an excellent job. This is like a non-question.

ReputationRep:
    After 8 years or so, the mother's presence in life is not correlated with any financial or emotional gains, but the father's presence is correlated with large gains.

Women are good at rearing children, but Men are natural leaders, disciplinarians and inspirers in ways no woman can ever be.

I am part of my father. I just came out of my mother. I could never love her like I love my Dad. Even though she might love me way more than he does. My mum is my equal. My Dad is my superior.

The trend towards severing families through divorce courts must do so much harm to children. It is not just boys who suffer, but girls who grow up without a disciplinarian to teach them the values of self-worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by channies)
    These actually turn out as successfully as those raised by two-parent households. Google scholar is really useful for looking up these findings.

ReputationRep:
    provided she upholds the hetero-female imperative and has read No More Mr. Nice Guy or at least understands why the Sensitive New Age Guy of the 1990s-early Noughties failed, then yes.

The mother would need to acknowledge the degree that she was embracing her maternal instinct and at an appropriate age e.g. 17 begin to restrict acting from this instinct, ideally putting the boy through a period of pain, loneliness and complete lack of female validation (yes that means no more unconditional validation/reassurance from Mommy fellas) for him to come out as someone she could respect. Any less and he will remain with some needy passive-aggressive tendencies, victim mentality etc.

In the past they used to describe this as 'he's old enough now, I'm kicking him out of the house'

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smash Bandicoot)
    provided she upholds the hetero-female imperative and has read No More Mr. Nice Guy or at least understands why the Sensitive New Age Guy of the 1990s-early Noughties failed, then yes.

The mother would need to acknowledge the degree that she was embracing her maternal instinct and at an appropriate age e.g. 17 begin to restrict acting from this instinct, ideally putting the boy through a period of pain, loneliness and complete lack of female validation (yes that means no more unconditional validation/reassurance from Mommy fellas) for him to come out as someone she could respect. Any less and he will remain with some needy passive-aggressive tendencies, victim mentality etc.

In the past they used to describe this as 'he's old enough now, I'm kicking him out of the house'
    your so beta

ReputationRep:
    RE those discussing single parent upbringings.

Several studies have proven that a lack of a male or female parent does indeed have a detrimental effect upon a child. That's why I find it stupid when radfems claim they don't need a male to father their children and men aren't necessary once you can artificially create sperm etc.:rolleyes:
    --
    Also I'm not sure what you mean OP... a literal man yes. A stereotypical male um maybe? Odd question.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakeel1)
    your so beta
    just shut up. Now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.