Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, i've finished my a level last year getting A*A*A*A in maths, f.maths, econ and physics.

obiously i am taking a gap year because of lse rejection last year and i reallyyyy want this uni to give me an offer.

reallistically do you guys think i stand a chance with my academic records?

btw i got 2a*s 2As 3Bs and a C in gcses and i've retook one as physics module and got high ums marks in all the papers ive done in A2.

i need som advice guys

ReputationRep:
    Those are some excellent grades for your A-levels! Wish I could also score grades like that for my A2. To answer your question, I think you are pretty much safe on your A-level grades and subject combination. I was told that LSE fancies people who've taken Further Mathematics for students applying for Economics. However, the cause of your rejection might be due to your GCSE grades and personal statement. Economics is an extremely competitive course in LSE and I think you might've lost to other applicants in these 2 factors. Since you're on your gap year, take on an internship somewhere related to Economics and add in into your revised PS. Show as to why you took a gap year, what have you learnt during that time and show passion as to why you really want to study Economics. As for your GCSE grades I don't think there is much you can do. :/ Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeanutAvenger)
    Those are some excellent grades for your A-levels! Wish I could also score grades like that for my A2. To answer your question, I think you are pretty much safe on your A-level grades and subject combination. I was told that LSE fancies people who've taken Further Mathematics for students applying for Economics. However, the cause of your rejection might be due to your GCSE grades and personal statement. Economics is an extremely competitive course in LSE and I think you might've lost to other applicants in these 2 factors. Since you're on your gap year, take on an internship somewhere related to Economics and add in into your revised PS. Show as to why you took a gap year, what have you learnt during that time and show passion as to why you really want to study Economics. As for your GCSE grades I don't think there is much you can do. :/ Hope this helps!
    Thank you so much for ur quick reply!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LJBurrows)
    Hi, i've finished my a level last year getting A*A*A*A in maths, f.maths, econ and physics.

obiously i am taking a gap year because of lse rejection last year and i reallyyyy want this uni to give me an offer.

btw i got 2a*s 2As 3Bs and a C in gcses and i've retook one as physics module and got high ums marks in all the papers ive done in A2.

i need som advice guys
    Has anything changed academically since the last time you applied?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

i need som advice guys
    LSE economics is obviously a very competitive course, and a lot will depend on your personal statement and reference as well as your grades. Are you doing anything on your gap year that might strengthen your chances of getting an offer?

If you exceeded your predicted grades, and got very good UMS, that will obviously strengthen your application, but the majority of applicants for LSE (and economics at LSE specifically) will be of a very high standard and other factors will also come into play.

Good luck, but if you get another rejection, try not to take it too personally. LSE reject loads of excellent applicants every year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    LSE economics is obviously a very competitive course, and a lot will depend on your personal statement and reference as well as your grades. Are you doing anything on your gap year that might strengthen your chances of getting an offer?

If you exceeded your predicted grades, and got very good UMS, that will obviously strengthen your application, but the majority of applicants for LSE (and economics at LSE specifically) will be of a very high standard and other factors will also come into play.

Good luck, but if you get another rejection, try not to take it too personally. LSE reject loads of excellent applicants every year.
    Thanks for your honest reply

ReputationRep:
    Your A-levels are excellent, and if it was a less competitive course, then I'd give a much more reassuring response.

ReputationRep:
    only 1 in 6 get offers from lse so there are loads others in your situation. you can try again but there is no guarantee. my suggestion would be go to one of the other excellent unis. lse loss is someone elses gain

ReputationRep:
    Any other opinions?

ReputationRep:
    Your grades are easily good enough but LSE seems to care a lot about your personal statement. My friend got into Oxford last year but rejected from LSE because of her personal statement. Make sure it is good. You should try to get feedback from LSE on why they rejected you so that you can change it next time.

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've moved your thread to the LSE sub-forum, as you may get more useful replies here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SlowlorisIncognito)
    Hi

I've moved your thread to the LSE sub-forum, as you may get more useful replies here.
    Thank you for doing it for me !!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.