Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Can someone help me make sense of my grades? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My friend and I just received our grades for one of our modules in uni (undergrad, 2nd year) and like you do, we told each other what we got on each. The module is broken down like so:

50% exam, 50% course work. The course work is further broken down into 3 pieces - field report (60%), Plant section (20%) and a presentation (20%. I did my presentation with said friend so we both got the same mark for this).

For the exam, I got 71%. My friend got 47%. For the course work, I got 52% for the report (friend got 50%), 65% for the plant sectioning (friend got 60%) and we both did the presentation together so we both got 58%.

I came out with an overall grade of 56% while my friend got an overall grade of 54%.

Does this add up? I'm admittedly terrible at maths so it may well be correct but I can't help but be a little confused how we both averaged pretty much the same even though I did considerably better in the exam and got either higher marks (albeit it, not by much) or equal marks inthe course work? It feels like my score in the exam was basically worthless, but considering it was worth 50% of the mark it feels like it should have added a bit more than 2% to my grade? Is anyone able to break it down for me and explain how it all adds up and how it works out like it does.

I just feel really discouraged by this and like there's no point in trying to do well in exams if 71% vs 47% makes only a bare difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rae18)
    My friend and I just received our grades for one of our modules in uni (undergrad, 2nd year) and like you do, we told each other what we got on each. The module is broken down like so:

50% exam, 50% course work. The course work is further broken down into 3 pieces - field report (60%), Plant section (20%) and a presentation (20%. I did my presentation with said friend so we both got the same mark for this).

For the exam, I got 71%. My friend got 47%. For the course work, I got 52% for the report (friend got 50%), 65% for the plant sectioning (friend got 60%) and we both did the presentation together so we both got 58%.

I came out with an overall grade of 56% while my friend got an overall grade of 54%.

Does this add up? I'm admittedly terrible at maths so it may well be correct but I can't help but be a little confused how we both averaged pretty much the same even though I did considerably better in the exam and got either higher marks (albeit it, not by much) or equal marks inthe course work? It feels like my score in the exam was basically worthless, but considering it was worth 50% of the mark it feels like it should have added a bit more than 2% to my grade? Is anyone able to break it down for me and explain how it all adds up and how it works out like it does.

I just feel really discouraged by this and like there's no point in trying to do well in exams if 71% vs 47% makes only a bare difference.
    I haven't done the maths, but considering you got below your final mark only in the report (and not by much), something seems fishy.

ReputationRep:
    Either their calculation is wrong or there's another factor which is missing.

To look at your overall weightings, the exam is 50% of your mark, the field report is 30% and the plant section and presentation are 10% each. With your results (71, 52, 65 & 58) I keep coming out with 64 or 65% (depending on whether they round up or down).

I think you should query your final mark and find out what's happened.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies, guys! Really appreciate it. Will approach my lecturer who marked this module tomorrow and ask about my mark and find out how they've come to these results. Hopefully it's just a case of human error as my uni has been really good otherwise.

Much appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    Here is the theory, its quite useful to know... it might seem long but at the end i show you the short version once you know all this stuff. Its really fast (like 20 seconds)

Percentages go from 1-100. Can also be expressed as a decimal from 0 to 1. So 10% is = 0.1. And 25% is =0.25. and so on.

Total grade= 50% final exam+ 50% courswork.

Calcluating each part!!!
    -------------------------------------------------------

1) FINAL exam: only has 1 'thing' to it; the exam.

Remember: Total mark = 50% final exam (we will find this now) + 50% coursework.

So imagine you get 75% for your exam. IF the exam was worth 100% of your final mark then you would get 75% for your course obviously. BUT as the exam is worth less, then just multiply like this:

50 (the POTENTIAL percentage you can get out of -your exam- to count towards your TOTAL mark, in this case 50%) x the % you got in exam but in decimal format (if you get 75% that is 0.75)
    50 x 0.75= 37.5%

So you have 37.5%. (Out of the 50% that you could have gotten)

Note: You still need to calculate what you get out of the other potential 50%, that is, courswork.
    Remember: Total mark = final exam (you just found this) + coursework. (?-missing!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

2) Courswork mark: Has 3 'things' so it's slightly more complicated but still simple.

Remember: Total mark = 50% final exam (in our case we found this to be 37.5%) + 50% coursework. ( we will find this now)

Also remember: The potential for your courswork (the MAX is 50%)

Out of the courswork which is 50% max, it has 3 'things', each one being worth 60%, 20% and 20% (out of this 50% max).

STEP 1. - How much does each of the 3 things count, out of the max 50%?
    -----------------
    Do the same as in 1). Your answers must add up to 50 (the max) NOT 100.

A) 50 (potential for courswork) x 0.6 (how much it's worth out of the courswork) = 30% out of the max 50%.
    B) 50 x 0.2 = 10%
    C) 50 x 0.2 = 10%

30+10+10=50

Step 2- Putting what you got into each!
    -------------------------------------------------------------

So your 50% in courswork mark is divided like 30% , 10% and 10%. Now just calculate as i said in 1).

A) 30 x (whatever you got, lets say 65% =0.65) = 19.5%
    B) 10 x (lets say 72%) = 7.2
    c) 10 x (lets say 48%) = 4.8

Add these up. 19.5 +7.2 +4.8 = 31.5% out of the 50% maximum you could have gotten in courswork.

SO,

Total grade= final exam + courswork.
    Total grade= 37.5 + 31.5
    Total grade= 69%

tadaaaaa!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    SHORT VERSION ONCE YOU KNOW ALL THAT STUFF:

Total grade= 50% final exam+ 50% courswork.

Total grade= (50x0.75) + [ (50x 0.6x 0.65) + (50x 0.2x 0.72) + (50x 0.2x 0.48.) ]
    Total grade= 69%

Tadaaa

ReputationRep:
    I just did the calculations in my head and I think you should've gotten 63 or 64% (depending on wether it's rounded up or not).

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do I go to The Streets tomorrow night?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.