The Student Room Group

PGCE Secondary Music (help!)

Hi all,

Apologies if there's already a similar thread, I searched the forums for 'PGCE Music' but it didn't come up with anything relevant for me.

I've applied for Secondary Music and I've got a couple of interviews coming up, one with the Institute of Education (UCL) and one with Middlesex. For both of these I'm required to perform a piece and talk about it, as if I were talking/performing in front of Key Stage 3, namely Year 8 (for IOE) pupils. I have no idea what to perform!

They don't mention any particular style and I'm not sure what sort of piece would fit the curriculum. I'm a singer and I play the piano, so I'm thinking of performing a song and accompanying myself, but I have no idea what song. I'm not sure what sort of stuff they do for music in Year 8; I didn't go to school in UK and the school experience I had was mostly with GCSE and A level.

If any of you has any ideas, or has been through a PGCE Music interview, please give me some advice, not necessarily regarding the performance, but anything relevant that I should prepare for or expect for the interview. Thanks!
Reply 1
Nobody? :frown:
Reply 2
Hi,

I'm about to do an interview as well, but not quite the same as your's.

If you want to sing and accompany yourself, why don't you try and do some Disney sing-alongs? 10 years ago, "A whole new world" or "reflection" would be a good piece to do.. Nowadays, maybe something off "Frozen" or a currently popular pop song might do the trick..

I need to do a presentation on how I would approach a specific aspect of Music.. but the thing is, I went to an International School and did IGCSE and IB... so all things considered you are better off prepared than me..
Reply 3
Original post by Julie_T
Hi all,

Apologies if there's already a similar thread, I searched the forums for 'PGCE Music' but it didn't come up with anything relevant for me.

I've applied for Secondary Music and I've got a couple of interviews coming up, one with the Institute of Education (UCL) and one with Middlesex. For both of these I'm required to perform a piece and talk about it, as if I were talking/performing in front of Key Stage 3, namely Year 8 (for IOE) pupils. I have no idea what to perform!

They don't mention any particular style and I'm not sure what sort of piece would fit the curriculum. I'm a singer and I play the piano, so I'm thinking of performing a song and accompanying myself, but I have no idea what song. I'm not sure what sort of stuff they do for music in Year 8; I didn't go to school in UK and the school experience I had was mostly with GCSE and A level.

If any of you has any ideas, or has been through a PGCE Music interview, please give me some advice, not necessarily regarding the performance, but anything relevant that I should prepare for or expect for the interview. Thanks!

Hi,

I had a Teach First music assessment centre and for that I played a classical piece on the piano and discussed aspects such as texture, tonality, rhythm and style. Alternatively you could sing a song and talk about melody, basic harmony, song meanings and popular style. Either of those should be acceptable. It would be worth thinking about how you could incorporate the basic elements of the music curriculum into your discussion; listening, performing, composition and analysis.

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi Julie,

How did the PGCE go? If you did it, can you please give me some advice about what to do after the PGCE if possible? Thank you!
(edited 2 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending