The Student Room Group

Turn Love to Hate

Any ideas how to do this? unrequited love so this seems the best way to get over it

(note: when I say love I don't actually mean love, I'm just indicating I have very very very strong feelings for someone, but it is definitely not love)
What.
I find that hate is such a consuming emotion. It requires energy to be sustained.

I'd recommend that you accept that whatever you want to happen isn't happening, and somehow find a peace within yourself. Perhaps it means reducing / cutting contact with this person would help. Perhaps you need to focus your energies elsewhere. I don't know the answer as I am not you.
Reply 3
Original post by mikeyd85
I find that hate is such a consuming emotion. It requires energy to be sustained.

I'd recommend that you accept that whatever you want to happen isn't happening, and somehow find a peace within yourself. Perhaps it means reducing / cutting contact with this person would help. Perhaps you need to focus your energies elsewhere. I don't know the answer as I am not you.

What do you mean be focus my energies elsewhere?
Original post by Anonymous
What do you mean be focus my energies elsewhere?

Find something else to do rather than think of what could have been with this other person. Be it take up a hobby or see other friends or family. Anything to stop thinking about this person.
Reply 5
Why hate? What will it gain? Nothing. You'll just have these negative feelings for someone who doesn't love you back. What's his fault in that? Keep yourself busy, go out enjoy the sun/cold/whatever weather you prefer. The more you think about that person, the more it will eat you up. That person probably doesn't even think of you.

You say it isn't "love" then why go all this trouble to hate them? Do yourself a favour and go smell the flowers.
Reply 6
Original post by Alsklinq
Why hate? What will it gain? Nothing. You'll just have these negative feelings for someone who doesn't love you back. What's his fault in that? Keep yourself busy, go out enjoy the sun/cold/whatever weather you prefer. The more you think about that person, the more it will eat you up. That person probably doesn't even think of you.

You say it isn't "love" then why go all this trouble to hate them? Do yourself a favour and go smell the flowers.

Just feels like the only way I will get over her is if I dislike her at the very least. I want to hate her so that I'm never close to falling into this state again. I'm not saying it's her fault, but I like her too much, it's bad for me. If she's never going to feel the same way there's mo issue in hating her.
Reply 7
Just feels like the only way I will get over her is if I dislike her at the very least. I want to hate her so that I'm never close to falling into this state again. I'm not saying it's her fault, but I like her too much, it's bad for me. If she's never going to feel the same way there's mo issue in hating her.

Its understandable, love is a complicated feeling. But you can't go obsessing over her. The best way for you to move on is by keeping yourself busy. You're spending too much time trying to hate her rather than not thinking of her. I'm sure a girl will come along your way and will love you and care for you immensely.
the opposite of love is indifference not hate :smile: work on not caring
Focus on the person's flaws, and then amplify them in your mind. Do this whenever you think of the person, for a while. Might not turn into hate but it can help get over the person.
Reply 10
Original post by mikeyd85

Whilst I agree, it can also equally be difficult to love someone too. Carers spring to mind or loving someone despite there issues. I get what you mean though :wink:
Original post by IbroSaunks
Focus on the person's flaws, and then amplify them in your mind. Do this whenever you think of the person, for a while. Might not turn into hate but it can help get over the person.

I made a list of flaws, but they're all things I don't care about in any way :frown:
Original post by Alsklinq
Its understandable, love is a complicated feeling. But you can't go obsessing over her. The best way for you to move on is by keeping yourself busy. You're spending too much time trying to hate her rather than not thinking of her. I'm sure a girl will come along your way and will love you and care for you immensely.

It's so hard not to think of her. At the moment all I have to keep me busy are exams (by extension revision) and just randomly she will pop into my head. I'm not really part of any other groups or anything either, I'm quite socially anxious (I'm not claiming to have an actual diagnosed problem, I'm just not really sure how else to put it) and she's one of the only people I actually feel comfortable around (in terms of how easy it is to talk to her, I'm ignoring the painful feelings for this type of comfort). I'm not really sure how to keep busy and not thinking about her is one of those cases where someone tells you not to think about a panda so it's all you can think about.

Tl;Dr I be tripping
It's so hard not to think of her. At the moment all I have to keep me busy are exams (by extension revision) and just randomly she will pop into my head. I'm not really part of any other groups or anything either, I'm quite socially anxious (I'm not claiming to have an actual diagnosed problem, I'm just not really sure how else to put it) and she's one of the only people I actually feel comfortable around (in terms of how easy it is to talk to her, I'm ignoring the painful feelings for this type of comfort). I'm not really sure how to keep busy and not thinking about her is one of those cases where someone tells you not to think about a panda so it's all you can think about.

Tl;Dr I be tripping

Yeah, its easier said than done. I mean it took me almost 2 years after the breakup to get over my ex. You can't really block her out of your mind as you're used to thinking of her. I think you're holding on to her because you find comfort in her, and that somewhere deep inside you believe that you will not find someone like her again. If that's the case then you better teach yourself to stop thinking that way.

Focus on your exams, maybe go out with your mates. Go to a museum, visit the parks. It will be tough, trying to focus your mind on anything but her, and there will be times you will find yourself thinking of her but it all shall pass. I think with time, you'll be able to go on a day just thinking about her once, which is quite a progress. Hold your chin up, stay optimistic - love will find your way some day. :smile:
Learn a language or something, I found that helped because I was more focused on that than anything, and constantly wanted to learn more. :P I don't think you should really hate anyone unless they've given you a big reason to. It's hard but focus more on making new friends and going out and doing stuff with them. If you just keep trying you'll realise that you can take your mind off of her more easily.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending