Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Like, do you have to be at the sort of level where you can solve a BMO1 type problem almost immediately just by looking at it? Or is it more about all the famous mathematic results that you can recite and memorize how their solutions were derived? (E.g. Euler's famous proof that zeta(2) = (pi^2)/6 or the divergence of the reciprocals of primes/the proof that the gradient of the gamma function at gamma(1) is the limit of H_n (summation of harmonic series) -lnn)

How many UMS should you be getting in your maths modules?
    My school does C1-C4 and M1-M2 and S1 for AS further maths and it's so easy but I always do something stupid like only give the x value when the question asks for the coordinates or forget the +c at the end but the actual maths is really trivial

ReputationRep:
    you need to meet the entry requirements of A*A*A.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whydoidothis?)
    you need to meet the entry requirements of A*A*A.
    yeah i mean how do I get the offer in the first place though i'm not too worried about the A*A*A thing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HLN_Radium)
    yeah i mean how do I get the offer in the first place though i'm not too worried about the A*A*A thing
    You write a good personal statement and get good predicted grades, then if they like you you get an interview which you have to pass followed by an offer. Just google what makes a good personal statement/oxford interviews.

ReputationRep:
    Like, do you have to be at the sort of level where you can solve a BMO1 type problem almost immediately just by looking at it? Or is it more about all the famous mathematic results that you can recite and memorize how their solutions were derived? (E.g. Euler's famous proof that zeta(2) = (pi^2)/6 or the divergence of the reciprocals of primes/the proof that the gradient of the gamma function at gamma(1) is the limit of H_n (summation of harmonic series) -lnn)

How many UMS should you be getting in your maths modules?
    My school does C1-C4 and M1-M2 and S1 for AS further maths and it's so easy but I always do something stupid like only give the x value when the question asks for the coordinates or forget the +c at the end but the actual maths is really trivial
    I would say that only a minority of applicants would be that good at BMO. You don't need to be able to recite famous mathematical results or have detailed knowledge of the Riemann Zeta Function, but if you picked that up just by learning about mathematics then that can only be a good thing. Oxford do not ask for UMS, but I guess high UMS can be a bonus to put in the reference.

The factors that are within your control now are your AS Results and your MAT Result. You want high enough AS results to merit a prediction of at least A*A*A next year and lastly your MAT (An admissions test that Oxford uses) result must be very good.

ReputationRep:
    You do the MAT in November, if that goes well then you'll get interviews in December, then possibly an offer afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to popular belief, you can learn to solve BMO problems. It's just a set of techniques and a way of thinking.

I'd say anyone who regularly gets 90+ in maths a-level, and who has interests in maths (as you clearly do, having heard of the zeta function) could survive at Oxford. It's probably 40% rote learning of facts, 30% practice and 30% 'mathematical spark'.

As for getting in, do well in the MAT (just do all the past papers), practice a few BMO questions, know your A-levels, and look at some interview questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Octohedral)
    Contrary to popular belief, you can learn to solve BMO problems. It's just a set of techniques and a way of thinking.
    I agree with that. But the thing is, these techniques you learn are very transferable to sort of those math tests that want you to think outside what the school does i.e. STEP or MAT, if I'm not wrong. So that's why I was trying to do a comparison to the BMO thing.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.