Turn on thread page Beta

Mechanics beats statistics all the way! watch

ReputationRep:
    Its simple, if you are about to chose which maths to take then opt for pure and mechanics. Statistics is the biggest pile of rubbish, and in no way does S1 match M1 in terms of enjoyability (yes its true maths can be enjoyable).

Having studied both M1 and S1 (edexcel) I must say S1 is an utter bore.

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter it still counts as a module and is just as valid as a mechanics module.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)
    It doesn't matter it still counts as a module and is just as valid as a mechanics module.
    Ok in terms of results maybe not, but I think enjoyment is a key factor of any success. Stats seems pointless to me, I just don't get much thrill from punching in a zillion numbers into my calculator to work out a standard deviation or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by G4ry)

yeh and

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Ok in terms of results I just don't get much thrill from punching in a zillion numbers into my calculator to work out a standard deviation or whatever.

You can say that again

ReputationRep:
    1. Academic sub-forum.

2. Does anyone really care?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    Don't be like that. It was a fair point

ReputationRep:
    Statistics is easy. Don't tell people what to do, let them decide for themselves. I'd choose stats over mechanics, it's my preferred taste. Though pure is in my opinion best. I'd probably pick discrete above mechanics...

It's up to the individual, what would suit them better or what they enjoy more.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by eddiedaboss)
    Its simple, if you are about to chose which maths to take then opt for pure and mechanics. Statistics is the biggest pile of rubbish, and in no way does S1 match M1 in terms of enjoyability (yes its true maths can be enjoyable).

Having studied both M1 and S1 (edexcel) I must say S1 is an utter bore.
    Ok, directly translated Swedish saying here: Taste is like your rear end - divided. Personally the language subjects bore the hell out of me, but I recognisethat other people ( my girlfriend among them) think they are interesting. I know a few people in my class who hate the Set theory we had as an optional topic, but who does not have much against statistics. I, however, just decided to memorise the statistic formulas 2 days before the exam.

ReputationRep:
    (yes its true maths can be enjoyable).
    It's the most enjoyable thing in the world.

And I agree with you mainly, although stats can have its more interesting moments.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonatan)
    Ok, directly translated Swedish saying here: Taste is like your rear end - divided. Personally the language subjects bore the hell out of me, but I recognisethat other people ( my girlfriend among them) think they are interesting. I know a few people in my class who hate the Set theory we had as an optional topic, but who does not have much against statistics. I, however, just decided to memorise the statistic formulas 2 days before the exam.
    Did you get a new girlfriend cuz I can't ever remember having enjoyed statistics.
    Calculus is my happytrigger. And vector geometry.

ReputationRep:
    I think it completely depends on the person. I don't think someone can turn around and say that statistics is a load of rubbish because each person prefers different types of maths. I think statistics is more accessible to maths students because it makes more sense and its more applicable to people of our age (ie we all understand the practical uses of probability etc). I think statistics is very methodical (ie learn this method, apply it) without us really understanding where all these seemingly random formulae come from (eg the normal distribution equation), so in that sense it doesn't offer us the opportunity to really understand it, but I'm sure if some of the ideas were covered in more depth we would all start to appreciate stats more! I do understand why a lot of people don't enjoy it though. Mechanics on the other hand - yes its extremely applicable, and it explores some wonderful areas of mathematics but no-one's mentioned how crude everything we learn in mechanics is! Everything we learn is just modelling - which in fact is very innaccurate compared to what scientists/engineers etc actually use. It offers us some interesting areas of study, but much of it is not infact applicable. So...I think what Im trying to say I find stats enjoyable but mechs interesting!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    Did you get a new girlfriend cuz I can't ever remember having enjoyed statistics.
    Calculus is my happytrigger. And vector geometry.
    Talked about languages.

ReputationRep:
    Talked about languages.
    huh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linda)
    huh?
    Read my post again.

ReputationRep:
    Read my post again.
    hehe, I'm sorry... btw I don't like languages. I like literature. Major difference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_KK)
    1. Academic sub-forum.

Well obviously they do!

ReputationRep:
    No one going to mention discrete then...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by XTinaA)
    No one going to mention discrete then...

Does anyone here find S2 as easy as P1

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone here find S2 as easy as P1
    Bungled through P1 (not so much not having a clue as not being very energetic about it) and I have to teach myself S2 which is going slowly at best. Would smack P1 now though! As for S2, I can't be bothered.

University open days

• University of East Anglia (UEA)
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Secondary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Thu, 18 Oct '18
  • University of Warwick
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
  • University of Sheffield
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 20 Oct '18
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.