Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know any good sixth forms in Birmingham?
    What are your thoughts and feelings of each school? And what would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Have they all give you conditional offers?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently at Fairfax in Year 12, and I have been there since Year 7, but I know little about the other two. I study History, English Literature, Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology.

I think the heads of 6th form, the learning mentor and the two supervisors are all really brilliant, very helpful. You get regular appointments with the learning mentor to discuss how you are doing, and the heads of 6th form are always there for a chat. The head teacher is very rarely at school, as he also owns Bournville School and I've heard that he is planning on taking over another one. He has changed the school quite a lot in te last couple of years. The teachers do tend to vary a lot, and I have found that I just don't get along with some of them, and their attitudes. The majority do know what they are doing though, and there are some brilliant ones there. I think it depends on what subjects you are planning on doing, as some of the departments are short for good staff. However, I think the History, English, Philosophy and Maths teachers are brilliant and do know what they are doing. If you wanted to say what subjects you are planning on studying, I could tell you a bit about those.

Compared to some other 6th forms I looked at when I was applying last year, Fairfax is quite controlling and strict. You might have seen that you still have to wear a uniform unlike some other 6th forms, and also 6th formers are not allowed to leave the school at any time except for lunches, even if you do not have any other lessons for the day. We didn't have a common room up until recently, but it is still just a big room with vending machines. In some of your frees you have to go into a 'Supervised' where there are two or three classes in a big room with computers and one of the supervisors and you have to work in there (although you can listen to music through headphones and talk if you are quiet), but you do get some 'Privates' as well where you are able to go wherever you want to go in the school.

You normally have four lessons of each subject a week, with two of General Studies. Then you have four supervised frees and three private frees. In some subjects you may have two teachers, except for General Studies most of the time. It depends on your timetabling mostly. I have two teachers for most of my subjects, except for History and General Studies. Class sizes can also vary. In my English class, I am one of 5 girls which is really nice. However, the other English class has around 20 just due to timetabling issues. Most of my classes are small though, with 9 in Philosophy, 11 in Psychology and 14 in History. The atmosphere is also very relaxed in lessons, and teachers are friendly with you. As are the other pupils, and there isn't really a divide between internal and external pupils.

If you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to send me a message.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    I'm currently at Fairfax in Year 12, and I have been there since Year 7, but I know little about the other two. I study History, English Luiterature, Philosophy and Ethics and Psychology.

I think the heads of 6th form, the learning mentor and the two supervisors are all really brilliant, very helpful. You get regular appointments with the learning mentor to discuss how you are doing, and the heads of 6th form are always there for a chat. The head teacher is very rarely at school, as he also owns Bournville School and I've heard that he is planning on taking over another one. He has changed the school quite a lot in te last couple of years. The teachers do tend to vary a lot, and I have found that I just don't get along with some of them, and their attitudes. The majority do know what they are doing though, and there are some brilliant ones there. I think it depends on what subjects you are planning on doing, as some of the departments are short for good staff. However, I think the History, English, Philosophy and Maths teachers are brilliant and do know what they are doing. If you wanted to say what subjects you are planning on studying, I could tell you a bit about those.

Compared to some other 6th forms I looked at when I was applying last year, Fairfax is quite controlling and strict. You might have seen that you still have to wear a uniform unlike some other 6th forms, and also 6th formers are not allowed to leave the school at any time except for lunches, even if you do not have any other lessons for the day. We didn't have a common room up until recently, but it is still just a big room with vending machines. In some of your frees you have to go into a 'Supervised' where there are two or three classes in a big room with computers and one of the supervisors and you have to work in there (although you can listen to music through headphones and talk if you are quiet), but you do get some 'Privates' as well where you are able to go wherever you want to go in the school.

You normally have four lessons of each subject a week, with two of General Studies. Then you have four supervised frees and three private frees. In some subjects you may have two teachers, except for General Studies most of the time. It depends on your timetabling mostly. I have two teachers for most of my subjects, except for History and General Studies. Class sizes can also vary. In my English class, I am one of 5 girls which is really nice. However, the other English class has around 20 just due to timetabling issues. Most of my classes are small though, with 9 in Philosophy, 11 in Psychology and 14 in History. The atmosphere is also very relaxed in lessons, and teachers are friendly with you. As are the other pupils, and there isn't really a divide between internal and external pupils.

If you want to know anything else, don't hesitate to send me a message.
    Omg thank you so much! That's really helpful😊
    For fairfax, I'm planning on taking:
    -Business
    -Psychology
    -Biology
    -Geography
    Also, I was invited to an applicant afternoon on the 23rd February and I was wondering whether you knew what it was about?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thanu24)
    Omg thank you so much! That's really helpful������
    For fairfax, I'm planning on taking:
    -Business
    -Psychology
    -Biology
    -Geography
    Also, I was invited to an applicant afternoon on the 23rd February and I was wondering whether you knew what it was about?
    I believe, but I could be wrong, that one of the heads of 6th form teaches Business at A-Level (I know he teaches it at GCSE). From what I have heard, his classes get really good grades and are encouraged to put their heads down and work hard. I have him for General Studies, and he does have our group working well ahead of the other groups.

I think the Psychology teachers are brilliant at Fairfax. There are two of them, and everyone who takes Psychology has two lessons with each of them in a week. They are the very friendly chatty types of teachers, but at the same time they do really want you to do well. They hold the most revision classes out of all the A-Level teachers, and you can clearly tell that they want you to do well.

I know that Biology was the most popular science for people to chose this year, and from what I have heard they are enjoying it. At GCSE the science teachers were quite dismal, but I know that they use the good teachers at A-Level who have been there for years. I'm not a science fan, but my favourite science teacher teaches this. She helped me a lot in KS4, especially when I was having trouble with the other teachers. On results day I remember her sorting out all my science results for me when AQA forgot to take into account one of my papers.

I haven't heard much about Geography, as I haven't actually done it since Year 8. I do know that there are a couple of teachers who teach this, and most of them I've never met but I know that one of them is lovely, and a very good teacher. I've heard good things about the other teachers and the lessons as well, and one of my friends does Geography and enjoys this.

I haven't heard anything about this, but by the sounds of it, it will probably consist of some talks from the 6th form staff, and also head boy, head girl etc. You will most likely get the chance to talk to some of the subject teachers as well. If I hear anything about it I will let you know

ReputationRep:
    Thats good, yeah i got a conditional offer from quenn mary's too. I have an interview for sutton soon and i'm pretty nervous! I really like sutton when i visted the open day, is it a good sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzxo)
    Thats good, yeah i got a conditional offer from quenn mary's too. I have an interview for sutton soon and i'm pretty nervous! I really like sutton when i visted the open day, is it a good sixth form?
    Yeah Sutton's a really good school. The head of sixth form is amazing and approachable.
    Don't worry about the interview the teachers are really nice and they'll understand if you're a bit nervous.
    What subjects are you planning on taking?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah Sutton's a really good school. The head of sixth form is amazing and approachable.
    Don't worry about the interview the teachers are really nice and they'll understand if you're a bit nervous.
    What subjects are you planning on taking?
    Biology, chemistry,maths and English literature. You?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yazzxo)
    Biology, chemistry,maths and English literature. You?
    I'm doing:
    Biology, Geography, French and Business.
    The biology and maths department are amazing at sutton btw ☺

ReputationRep:
    Just letting you know that I was told a little about this today, and there is going to be a Q&A with the head of Year 12, a tour of the school, and I think they said a Q&A with some of the Year 13s. There were a couple of other things going on, but I can't remember what was said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by oswalds)
    Just letting you know that I was told a little about this today, and there is going to be a Q&A with the head of Year 12, a tour of the school, and I think they said a Q&A with some of the Year 13s. There were a couple of other things going on, but I can't remember what was said.
    Ooohhh that sounds interesting...Thank you so much xx

ReputationRep:
    Recommending The Sixth Form College Solihull, it is a good college with helpful teachers. 1000 people in each year so no issue with finding friends! As an AS student currently I can tell you that it is a big step up from GCSE, but you get used to college quickly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AkeebSaberi)
    Recommending The Sixth Form College Solihull, it is a good college with helpful teachers. 1000 people in each year so no issue with finding friends! As an AS student currently I can tell you that it is a big step up from GCSE, but you get used to college quickly.
    Hmm.. thank you! I'll check it out. :-)

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I just wanted to say I have got an offer at Sutton Coldfield Sixth form and I was wondering if there is anyone who is planning to go there?? I don't know much about it so I was thinking is it a good place to go to? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ZennyX)
    Hi, I just wanted to say I have got an offer at Sutton Coldfield Sixth form and I was wondering if there is anyone who is planning to go there?? I don't know much about it so I was thinking is it a good place to go to? :confused:
    Hey!, Are you on about Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls sixth form or Sutton college sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    Hey!, Are you on about Sutton Coldfield Grammar School for Girls sixth form or Sutton college sixth form?
    Grammar, oh I didn't know there was a college!!! Oooopss

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Grammar, oh I didn't know there was a college!!! Oooopss

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Lol I've been at Sutton girls since year 7 and to be honest its a pretty good school. the teachers are really supportive and friendly. What subjects are you planning on taking?

ReputationRep:
    Lol I've been at Sutton girls since year 7 and to be honest its a pretty good school. the teachers are really supportive and friendly. What subjects are you planning on taking?
    Biology, Chem, Maths and Psychology!! What about u? And r u going to their sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Chem, Maths and Psychology!! What about u? And r u going to their sixth form?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Biology, Geography, French and Business and yeahh I might stay because it's easier. However, I am considering Fairfax sixth form

ReputationRep:
    Biology, Geography, French and Business and yeahh I might stay because it's easier. However, I am considering Fairfax sixth form
    Have u received any offer from fairfax yet?

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.