Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am currently in year 11 and am in the midst of choosing A-levels. I have decided to do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and French for AS. My parents want me to go to a college an hour away (which would involve travelling everyday) because it has good facilities; but I would rather stay at my current school (because it has a sixth form and I feel as though I could get more support). I know that I will be happier to stay at my school and it would give me more time to focus on my studies. However, my mum thinks that it will increase my self-confidence to go to this other college. I agreed to go to the open day for the other school to please my parents and I have my interview from my current school this week. It's just that I'm not sure whether I want to go to this other school, even though the statistics there are higher and it is generally better for the subjects I wish to take.
    Please can I have some advice on what to do, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilly38)
    I am currently in year 11 and am in the midst of choosing A-levels. I have decided to do Physics, Chemistry, Maths and French for AS. My parents want me to go to a college an hour away (which would involve travelling everyday) because it has good facilities; but I would rather stay at my current school (because it has a sixth form and I feel as though I could get more support). I know that I will be happier to stay at my school and it would give me more time to focus on my studies. However, my mum thinks that it will increase my self-confidence to go to this other college. I agreed to go to the open day for the other school to please my parents and I have my interview from my current school this week. It's just that I'm not sure whether I want to go to this other school, even though the statistics there are higher and it is generally better for the subjects I wish to take.
    One point to make is that staying on at a sixth form attached to your secondary school means they often continue to treat you like children, while in a stand alone sixth form college you're generally treated more like your actual age! I have also found that going to a separate sixth form did increase my confidence, but as our secondary school didn't have a sixth form all my friends from secondary go to the same sixth form so it wasn't really the same situation as yours.
    However, if you feel that you would be happier staying at your current school, and that you could definitely get the support you need there to achieve the grades you want, then do it. As long as you're willing to put the work in (and teachers are doing their job properly and helping you) then you should be fine at either in terms of grades

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gilly38)
    I opted to go to a college that takes about 50 minutes' travelling there a day rather than my school's sixth form, and I can tell you my confidence and general happiness have improved tenfold. It's very much a focus on you at a stand-alone college as the teachers aren't swamped by any lessons or marking from the younger years, and so you're treated like your actual age and can actually build a relationship with your teachers, e.g. we can call our teachers by their first names, whereas my friends who stayed at sixth form have to call them Sir and Miss still. The facilities and statistics are better for the same reason: that it's really focused on only two year groups. Personally, the atmosphere is so much more openminded as everyone came from a variety of schools in the county and so had to start afresh, and there are so many people that there's virtually no discrimination. Plus at sixth form you stay around people you've known for years, and I wanted a new beginning away from that.

That being said, it's your studies and you who has to go to the college/school, not your parents. If you think you'll be happier at your school and your teachers can provide you with what you need, stay at the school! For me college was what I needed, but if you're content with the people and the classes then there's no reason why you can't stay there. Consider where/if you want to go to uni and if the higher statistics will make any difference, but they usually don't, so just make sure you're happy really. ^__^

ReputationRep:
    I chose to stay at my school's sixth form, rather than travel 50 minutes to another sixth form. It has a seperate site, so I definitely got the feel that I wasn't still in secondary school. I personally preferred the fact I kept all my old teachers, because they knew how I learnt and I knew how they taught, and it definitely made it easier to settle in.

My advice would be to choose the place that you feel most comfortable going to. Statistics and facilities don't really play the same factor as they did in secondary, as you are expected to learn on your own mostly. Go to the other college with an open mind, and see how you feel after that.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.