The Student Room Group

Increase my skillset/hobbies list

Scroll to see replies

Original post by trustmeimlying1

anyhow anyone play a musical instrument?

Steel pans! Its great fun you should try and find a band near you. Maybe ask if you could try a taster session

Posted from TSR Mobile
Travelling independently, visiting new places, art galleries..
Meeting new people
Improving my Spanish to comfortable conversational
Reading
Becoming a better writer
So yeh I am to increase my hobbies/skillset

New Skillsets:
Learn Diy crap
Learn to play an instrument well
Better my cooking

New Hobbies:
Drama
Backpacking

Any other ideas/advice be great

be sure to include yours too

Learn a language
Learn to skateboard/pennyboard/skate/rolleeblade/iceskate WELL
Learn to knit: such an easy skill to learn and you can make clothing!

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
You just caught me on the day that I chanced upon a site that not only does French things (for GCSE) but Japanese so I hope to learn Japanese at some point.

I've been playing guitar for 5 years now (wow, its that long?), but I'm still a scrub. I do know a few things though.
So yeh I am to increase my hobbies/skillset

New Skillsets:
Learn Diy crap
Learn to play an instrument well
Better my cooking

New Hobbies:
Drama
Backpacking

Any other ideas/advice be great

be sure to include yours too

Learn a new language eg. Python.
Reply 25
Original post by Iggy Azalea
Well, mine are these, so you could steal a few if you want:

- Learn Portuguese
- Improve my Mandarin
- Learn Barista skills
- Improve my Mexican cuisine
- Fill up a money jar
- Spend more time with tai chi and yoga
- Pass motorcycle test

BARISTA SKILLZ. +1000 points.
Reply 26

Lead guitar for a year or so, literally play it 3+ hours a day and I still love it :biggrin:
First Aid course? :smile: Or leadership qualifications with the scouts etc?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Iggy Azalea
When I lived in Spain I had a moped, so I'm used to it. Just going up a gear I suppose. :biggrin:

I've passed my car licence, but to be honest there's no rush to get that done unless you need to commute to an isolated area. Waste of time and money for me.
nice one! id love to learn but my parents wouldnt allow me...

My ex could drive a motorbike like but its just wrong for a man to go on the back p

yeh dont plan on getting a car for a while as its sooo pricey but getting the licence is important
Original post by frances98
Steel pans! Its great fun you should try and find a band near you. Maybe ask if you could try a taster session

Posted from TSR Mobile

wow something new! however I live in a rural area its highly unlikely:tongue:

I had a look and zero..but cheers for the idea
Original post by number23
Travelling independently, visiting new places, art galleries..
Meeting new people
Improving my Spanish to comfortable conversational
Reading
Becoming a better writer
hope to do the first one too
Original post by Frappé
Learn a language
Learn to skateboard/pennyboard/skate/rolleeblade/iceskate WELL
Learn to knit: such an easy skill to learn and you can make clothing!
Posted from TSR Mobile
good for you! not sure any of them are for me tho p

Original post by Aria Enoshima
You just caught me on the day that I chanced upon a site that not only does French things (for GCSE) but Japanese so I hope to learn Japanese at some point.

I've been playing guitar for 5 years now (wow, its that long?), but I'm still a scrub. I do know a few things though.
id love to learn guitar but its bloody hard Id say...any advice for beginners..I cant even tune my guitar:I

Original post by morgan8002
Learn a new language eg. Python.
python yum.

Original post by ryanicus
BARISTA SKILLZ. +1000 points.
is that a person who can make cocktails?

Lead guitar for a year or so, literally play it 3+ hours a day and I still love it :biggrin:
jaysus thats ages..tips for begingers?

Original post by tasha96
First Aid course? :smile: Or leadership qualifications with the scouts etc?
great idea!!! that I may look into! scouts great idea

id love to learn guitar but its bloody hard Id say...any advice for beginners..I cant even tune my guitar:I

TAB notation is best for scrubs.
There are a gazillion apps for guitar tuning on app stores (even windows phone since I have one). If you tune it correctly from the lowest string (the thickest one if its a acoustic) should have the tuning EADGBE (Every angel does good before evil is how I got to remember)
Holla at me if you need anything else.

python yum.

I have many more suggestions if you already know it. For example I am quite fluent in C# and could manage a passing R with a little more practice, along with a few other languages.
Reply 33
There are a gazillion apps for guitar tuning on app stores (even windows phone since I have one). If you tune it correctly from the lowest string (the thickest one if its a acoustic) should have the tuning EADGBE (Every angel does good before evil is how I got to remember)

To beginners;
To be honest, once you have the basic fingering skills (heh) needed for moving between frets etc, you should check out Marty Shwartz on youtube. Wouldn't still be playing guitar if it wasn't for that guy. #HatzOff # Rezpekt
yeh not sure any group team sport suits though..

video editing nice! any advice on that for a beginner? I love animation but I hear it takes LOADS of TIME

I did like just a tiny little bit of stuff... Used Sony Vegas personally and it's a really nice program, it seems to have a lot of complex options but the simplest things are not too difficult to grasp for a beginner, also there are a lot of tutorials available online! I'm sure you can get a trial or something and check it out
Original post by Viridiana
I did like just a tiny little bit of stuff... Used Sony Vegas personally and it's a really nice program, it seems to have a lot of complex options but the simplest things are not too difficult to grasp for a beginner, also there are a lot of tutorials available online! I'm sure you can get a trial or something and check it out

yeh again id love to but I dappled into it before and it was damm time consuming..spend enough time on the lappie as it is!;p check out domics btw hes unreal!
legend! likewise dont be afraid to message if I can help in any way!

Original post by morgan8002
I have many more suggestions if you already know it. For example I am quite fluent in C# and could manage a passing R with a little more practice, along with a few other languages.

hmm I just wonder would I ever use that stuff.
To beginners;
To be honest, once you have the basic fingering skills (heh) needed for moving between frets etc, you should check out Marty Shwartz on youtube. Wouldn't still be playing guitar if it wasn't for that guy. #HatzOff # Rezpekt

brillant advice..already subscribed cheers!!xD

Quick Reply

Latest