Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    Bit of important backstory, I was born in July 1997 in Brazil to Italian parents (I hold both Italian and Brazilian passports) and moved to Britain in 2005, so I've been here for 9 years. I study at a sixth form college in England, and have studied in UK schools since coming here. I'm going to university in September 2015. Would I be applicable for the maintenance loans and grants as I am or would I need to get a British passport? My dad has British (by naturalisation) and Brazilian passports, mum has Brazilian and Italian.

    Many thanks in advance
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative

    Our residency criteria is as follows:

    • Ordinarily resident in the UK for 3 years prior to the first day of the first academic year of your course
    • Ordinarily resident in the UK on the first day of the first academic year of your course
    • Settled under the terms of the Immigration Act 1971 (and not subject to any restrictions on the period for which you may stay)

    So as long as you have settled status in the UK, that would be all you need to be eligible for student finance.

How are you feeling about your exams?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.