Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I'm living in a house at Uni and I am on the second floor, below someone else who just won't stop being loud. Quite frankly, I am sick of it. Everyday I'm awoken from 7:30am too 9am with him stomping around getting ready, this makes my days always start dreadful with me feeling dreadful and angry.

Once he leaves I have a few hours to myself until he comes back, stomping past my room and up into his room where him stomping shakes my room, disturbing me even if I have headphones in. Then the music starts, he recently got a new pair of speakers and have placed them on the floor (which are paper thin) and its all I can hear often. I've told him to turn the bass down multiple times as it drives me crazy but its often met with a "yeah" and there is no change.

He is constantly loud when in the lounge, constantly singing out loud and the like, with a kind of arrogant swagger that has been rubbing me the wrong way.

I just don't know what to do quite frankly, There is no escape from his loud music, since it can be heard in the lounge above his room and in my room below him and I don't want to start playing mine loud as that would just give him a reason too do so. I am starting to feel a constant sense of stress and depression, which runs in the family, from the constant banging and its starting to influence my work.

What can I do? We have my Xbox One in the lounge, which I put there so we could play, I may take that back into my room as a spiteful gesture, but I doubt he would care. I've asked my housemate who he is friends with and works with, in his room, disturbing me, if he would like to swap which was met with a no. Just what can I do?

TLR: Loud, arrogant, heavy footed housemate in room above who won't listen. Making me stressed and disrupting my work.

ReputationRep:
    Does the university own the house? If it's uni accommodation, and seeing as you've already tried reasoning with him, you could go down the route of making an official complaint against him? Might scare him into turning things down. Likewise the landlord if it's a private house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gutenberg)
    Does the university own the house? If it's uni accommodation, and seeing as you've already tried reasoning with him, you could go down the route of making an official complaint against him? Might scare him into turning things down. Likewise the landlord if it's a private house.

Its private, but built for students. I am not sure what the landlord could do though, would they need evidence? The floors are too thin, which just exacerbates it

ReputationRep:
    If an official complaint was lodged against him, the landlord could possibly threaten to evict him. It probably depends on the nature of your contract- do you rent rooms individually, i.e. each of you has a separate contract for your room? If not then it could be harder. Keep a record of the noise in a notebook, and the times you've spoken to him about it, in case something can be done.

Unfortunately student housing does tend to be poorly built, with thin walls & floors. If it's getting to you that much, look into moving out?

ReputationRep:
    Landlord won't give a toss if you have a joint tenancy - slightly bigger chance if you have separate tenancies.

The safest option is to move.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    Landlord won't give a toss if you have a joint tenancy - slightly bigger chance if you have separate tenancies.

The safest option is to move.

We all signed one piece of paper so I assume its joint.

I don't currently have the money to move, with having to pay 10% of each months rent left on my contract it would come to about £200.

I just don't see why I should be forced to wear headphones and him to play his music loud
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Does it bother the other housemate? Just thinking that if it did, you could both go to the landlord. And yes, keep a record of the noise.

ReputationRep:
    Loud music you say... hmmm.

Is it loud enough to drown out the murder of your house mate?

ReputationRep:
    one solution to part of your problem. locate your consumer unit and turn off power to the sockets on his floor. chances are this won't effect you as you are on another floor and by the sounds of it he's a little thick so it'll take him some time to flick the switch back from off to on. However this will only work 2 or 3 times.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.