Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am currently in year 11 and deciding what to do next year for AS
    I want to do Spanish, German, Maths, Economics and Computing.
    Is it a good idea to do all five, or should I drop one, is there anyone who did five including two languages?. (I get A*s in my work in all these subjects at the moment)
    Thank You!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by docterprocter)
    Is it a good idea to do all five, or should I drop one, is there anyone who did five including two languages?. (I get A*s in my work in all these subjects at the moment)
    Thank You!
    I'm doing 6 but just as long as you can cope! I might drop some subjects in year 13 though but since some A levels are changing, I found I could focus on some subjects in year 12 more than others etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunnyrays07)
    I'm doing 6 but just as long as you can cope! I might drop some subjects in year 13 though but since some A levels are changing, I found I could focus on some subjects in year 12 more than others etc.
    I'm in year 13 and doing 4 a levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and physics) at the moment and it's a lot of work. I strongly recommend that you drop something next year I don't think you'll need any more than four a2 levels. And it would be better to get 4 really good a levels than 6 less good ones. it's up to you in the end though.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)
    I'm in year 13 and doing 4 a levels (maths, further maths, chemistry and physics) at the moment and it's a lot of work. I strongly recommend that you drop something next year I don't think you'll need any more than four a2 levels. And it would be better to get 4 really good a levels than 6 less good ones. it's up to you in the end though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thank you for your advice! I actually currently in year 11 but I'm planning on taking the 6 A levels, although further maths is part of it. Would you say that I should maybe drop something then? I heard the step from GCSEs to A levels is quite big so do you think that I should maybe do less?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for your advice! I actually currently in year 11 but I'm planning on taking the 6 A levels, although further maths is part of it. Would you say that I should maybe drop something then? I heard the step from GCSEs to A levels is quite big so do you think that I should maybe do less?
    You are only in year 11 so I'd day concentrate on your GCSE and AS choices now.
    See how the workload it at AS, then decide what to drop.

Although, 6 A levels is a lot, what about the IB as an alternative?

ReputationRep:
    do 4 AS levels, you might think that because you work at A* at GCSE you can get an A at AS, as i did. i soon found that "i got an A* at GCSE" will be of little use. an A* at gcse level probably equates to a low C at AS level. if you want to do 5 as levels, then you should ask to do some over summer (Thats what im doing with further maths). only take 5 if you dont think you can self teach an AS level in 6 weeks and you really want to. the 5th level makes no difference applying to uni

Why are you doing such broad AS levels, but not further maths? There is no point doing 5, unless you are doing further maths - from your options of computing, economics and maths, further maths would be an ideal addition. Otherwise you would limit yourself, as further maths is quite important for Econ or computing at uni

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I took maths early and now do 4(further maths, biology, chemistry, physics) and take extra maths modules and STEP, which take more time/effort than A-levels. It is still manageable.
    As the STEP and extra modules take so much time, it equates to at the very least another full A-level in terms of work. If you can work as effectively as me, you could do 6.

ReputationRep:
    I really wouldn't recommend doing more than 5 AS levels. I think the step up from GCSE to a level is quite big but not half as big as the jump from AS to A2. I mean I used to have a part time job and edit and write for a college magazine while doing 4AS levels and managed to get four As quite comfortably but this year doing all four has stressed me out a lot - so much that I've given up my job and writing for the magazine. I mean it isn't up to me in the end but I'd recommend reducing your workload a bit.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by docterprocter)
    Thank You!
    I wouldn't take 5 if you're doing two foreign languages unless you don't want a job or social life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kaytaylou)
    I wouldn't take 5 if you're doing two foreign languages unless you don't want a job or social life
    How many serious A-level students have jobs during term?

I wouldn't get a job unless you don't want to do 5 A-levels.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by morgan8002)
    How many serious A-level students have jobs during term?

I wouldn't get a job unless you don't want to do 5 A-levels.
    Quite a few state college students as not everybody's parents are willing to give them money all the time for uni.

ReputationRep:
    You may as well do Further Maths if you want to study that or economics on the side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _Caz_)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Do maths + further maths lower your workload as they are essentially same subject, instead of having to take history for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Quite a few state college students as not everybody's parents are willing to give them money all the time for uni.
    A few at mine do, but no-one who does more than three A-levels has a job during term. It's just not feasible to put all of your time and effort into your subjects and also work dozens of hours per week on the top. After A-level work, further reading, eating and sleeping there isn't much time left in the week.
    The maintenance loans should pay for the majority of expenses at uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missfats)
    Do maths + further maths lower your workload as they are essentially same subject, instead of having to take history for example.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Further maths gets a lot more difficult at A2, so shouldn't be taken as an easy subject.

ReputationRep:
    A few at mine do, but no-one who does more than three A-levels has a job during term. It's just not feasible to put all of your time and effort into your subjects and also work dozens of hours per week on the top. After A-level work, further reading, eating and sleeping there isn't much time left in the week.
    The maintenance loans should pay for the majority of expenses at uni.
    My boyfriend is taking four next year and he's dropping his job cos it's gonna be too much but that's only because he takes further maths.

Moral of the story is don't do more than four unless you're doing further

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend is taking four next year and he's dropping his job cos it's gonna be too much but that's only because he takes further maths.

Moral of the story is don't do more than four unless you're doing further
    See above post. A2 further maths is quite a bit more difficult than A2 maths, or any other A-level(except additional further maths). It isn't an easy A-level, so shouldn't be taken as such. Taking it doesn't make four easier.

ReputationRep:
    See above post. A2 further maths is quite a bit more difficult than A2 maths, or any other A-level(except additional further maths). It isn't an easy A-level, so shouldn't be taken as such. Taking it doesn't make four easier.
    Never said it makes it easier but if you're just doing Maths and e.g Physics, it closes your options a little bit.

ReputationRep:
    Languages are extremely time consuming at A Level. I did two, and they're a lot of work. Five might be too much.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.