Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    :eek:
    I'm just waiting to see who bites first. Always fun.

ReputationRep:
    i don't understand this whole thing about pulling our troops out. I mean, now we're there we can't just pull out and leave them in the lurch can we?! We have to see it through now, we're committed.
    Also, sending in the UN? the Un is *******s, they were never gonna put any presssure on Saddam, whetehr u agree with the war or not, the US did what the UN should ahve done a long time ago. Furthermore, if the UN does take over because British and Yank troops go home, then who will be asked to put up the troops and equipment? AS always Britain and America, because too many other countries are too pants to actually put up any troops (SPAIN), or their troops are just not good enough to be trusted (NIGERIA).
    P.S. i don't think Yank troops are good enough to be trusted either, as evidenced by the recent revelations about their treatment of prisoners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joseph_SOUTH)
    i don't understand this whole thing about pulling our troops out. I mean, now we're there we can't just pull out and leave them in the lurch can we?! We have to see it through now, we're committed.
    Also, sending in the UN? the Un is *******s, they were never gonna put any presssure on Saddam, whetehr u agree with the war or not, the US did what the UN should ahve done a long time ago. Furthermore, if the UN does take over because British and Yank troops go home, then who will be asked to put up the troops and equipment? AS always Britain and America, because too many other countries are too pants to actually put up any troops (SPAIN), or their troops are just not good enough to be trusted (NIGERIA).
    P.S. i don't think Yank troops are good enough to be trusted either, as evidenced by the recent revelations about their treatment of prisoners.
    But they don't want us there. We can't force our help on people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Everdawn)
    From BBCArabic.com: I imagine the West will mobilise its mighty media machine to accuse Arabs and Muslims of terrorism, as usual. Just wait and see.
    Nawaf Bin Mohamed, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
    the "mighty media machine"......LOL :rolleyes: How typical, why doesn't the average muslim just say the terrorists were wrong. Maybe that will be a good way to stop terrorism and the best way to stop America HAVING to go to war. Why can't the average muslim sort this out.

We "westerners" go around saying the same old "this isn't what the majority of muslims thing or do". But what do the majority of muslims think??? It seems to me that they don't actually care about what the terrorist do in their name. It's like at child abuse at catholic schools (bad analogy i know), they just want to brush it under the carpet and act like nothing has happened. The muslims, especially muslims in the west, should be out marching against terrorism. Hey, muslim organisations were at the anti-war marches, Im sure they could knock together some strong anti-terrorism activity....but they don't!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    But they don't want us there. We can't force our help on people.
    Who doesn't want us there!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hattori)
    The tricky thing is ... some Iraqis do want help from the US/Britain and others don't.

ReputationRep:
    How do u know all of them don't want us there? I've seen loads of iraqia on the news singing our praises, and i've mates out there who get on really well with them. In fact, there are a fair amount of people actually coming into the coutry to have a pop at Brtis and Yanks.
    Whether they want us or not, now we've taen down their government, they are in no fit state to govern themselves for the time being and if we leave they'll just fall to absolute pieces and all that has been sacrificed up till now will all be a waste as the country will be at square one again.

ReputationRep:
    The Iraqis. Generally.

ReputationRep:
    The Iraqis. Generally.
    Do they really not want us there or are they just pissed off that they have been caught between the extremists and the coalition? i think average iraqi man on the street knows that there would be a bloodbath if the coalition were to just leave.

ReputationRep:
    Do they really not want us there or are they just pissed off that they have been caught between the extremists and the coalition? i think average iraqi man on the street knows that there would be a bloodbath if the coalition were to just leave.
    Maybe.

But, then the average Iraqi in the street needs to start doing something about the extremists. The average guys need to help themselves. If they won't do it now, they'll never do it later.

Where are the Iraqis that know they need the coalition? Why are they not forming militias to fight the fundamentalist factions. It's not impossible is it?Virtually every male in Iraq is armed.

ReputationRep:
    The Iraqis. Generally.
    in a recent poll, about 10% said they wanted the US to leave immediately.
    it is also clear that whatever there opinion on US occupation, its universally preferred to that of the UN.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vienna95)
    in a recent poll, about 10% said they wanted the US to leave immediately.
    it is also clear that whatever there opinion on US occupation, its universally preferred to that of the UN.
    Then there should be 90% actively supporting the coalition, forming militias, and rising up against the fundamentalist factions that are seeking to hijack the country.

Maybe they just can't be assed.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe.

But, then the average Iraqi in the street needs to start doing something about the extremists. The average guys need to help themselves. If they won't do it now, they'll never do it later.

Where are the Iraqis that know they need the coalition? Why are they not forming militias to fight the fundamentalist factions. It's not impossible is it?Virtually every male in Iraq is armed.
    they do need it and the reason theyre abit pissed is because they expected hard treatment from the americans and all they got was media-appeasers. they wanted Sadr dealt with..patrolling their own backyard they can handle.

ReputationRep:
    Then there should be 90% actively supporting the coalition, forming militias, and rising up against the fundamentalist factions that are seeking to hijack the country.

Maybe they just can't be assed.
    the majority appreciate the work of the US, but wish it would hurry up. bearing in mind the US didnt lay down the law initially, you cant blame the ordinary Iraqi for not standing up against the factions..the US needs to crack down hard as theyre now doing....

ReputationRep:
    yada yada yada, im fed up of hearing about Islam as peaceful religion. take a look around the world...this religion is violent and volatile.
    western morality doesnt work here...

ReputationRep:
    the majority appreciate the work of the US, but wish it would hurry up. bearing in mind the US didnt lay down the law initially, you cant blame the ordinary Iraqi for not standing up against the factions..the US needs to crack down hard as theyre now doing....
    Maybe.

It just doesn't seem they're being very proactive. The only gunmen I ever seen on TV are anti coalition forces.

ReputationRep:
    It just doesn't seem they're being very proactive. The only gunmen I ever seen on TV are anti coalition forces.
    Maybe they are afraid the Americans will mistake them for the enemy?

ReputationRep:
    they do need it and the reason theyre abit pissed is because they expected hard treatment from the americans and all they got was media-appeasers. they wanted Sadr dealt with..patrolling their own backyard they can handle.
    I totally agree. Remember my post about shooting the looters dead (if needed) to lay down the law.

And I really can't understand why muslims don't do something about THEIR extremists. Maybe they like to play the victim.

ReputationRep:
    I totally agree. Remember my post about shooting the looters dead (if needed) to lay down the law.

And I really can't understand why muslims don't do something about THEIR extremists. Maybe they like to play the victim.
    Because the extremists are probably that small proportion of the population that are capable of killing, i.e. the sociopaths. The rest would rather not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shiny)
    Because the extremists are probably that small proportion of the population that are capable of killing, i.e. the sociopaths. The rest would rather not.
    I didn't mean the masses should take up arms against the terrorists.

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.