Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Also do you think if I got an A at GCSE I could get an A at AS level (however I would not carry on chemistry to A2)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It can be done. But the concepts are a lot harder so you have to put a lot more effort in than you've ever imagined. But yeah

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks! How do you think it compares to physics AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Don Joiner)
    Also do you think if I got an A at GCSE I could get an A at AS level (however I would not carry on chemistry to A2)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    The jump is relatively big, but it's manageable. If you enjoy chemistry at the moment and you can achieve a good grade in it, I can't see why taking chemistry at AS-level is a problem. However, you do need to put much more effort in as the concepts are considerably harder. There seems to be an emphasis of applying what you know (in terms of chemical mechanisms) to exam questions - so it does require you to think outside the box.

It's difficult to say if you will get a grade A at AS-level from your GCSE result alone. It takes a lot of dedication and motivation to get an A at A-level. But it's a good subject to take and is well respected by universities.

ReputationRep:
    Okay thanks! How do you think it compares to physics AS?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It's much bigger jump than physics. Chemistry is quite a bit harder than physics at A-level.

I got a high A for GSSE and am aiming for an A or A* overall. I had a very bad day for one of the AS exams so only got a B.

ReputationRep:
    I only did double science and got A in core and additional GCSE...I also took chemistry alongside English lit, econ and maths...not very sciency but I still got an A at AS (and will be doing chemistry at uni)

Can I just mention the change in alevels means that current year 11s might not have the option to do AS levels...but rather only full alevels...

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Chemistry AS easier than Physics?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm not in a position to say anything yet because I haven't sat my exam so for all I know I could fail. But, I am currently doing AS and I got an A at GCSE and it's my favourite subject hence I find it the easiest. As long as you take the initiative to understand the concepts and practice, I guarantee you'll be fine. Most of it builds on from basics such as the number of electrons in a shell, some equations, naming organic compounds etc. There's so many resources out there to help you too which I really like!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Which out of chem or physics is better for someone who isn't super at maths

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No, chemistry is more difficult than physics at A-level.

ReputationRep:
    I've done both and would say physics is easier for me personally. I think it's just down to a personal preference and what you're actually just naturally good at.

ReputationRep:
    Which out of chem or physics is better for someone who isn't super at maths

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Chemistry has less maths in it at AS, but there is much more maths at A2. Do you have the option to just do AS or is this hypothetical?

ReputationRep:
    If I do chemistry it will ONLY be at AS as it is my fourth option ie I won't continue it to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If I do chemistry it will ONLY be at AS as it is my fourth option ie I won't continue it to A2

Posted from TSR Mobile
    So you definitely have the option?

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=morgan8002;53076453]So you definitely have the option?

Yes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Physics AS is harder than Chemistry AS, in my opinion.

But then I do love chemistry, and probably put a lot more work into it

Choose the subjects you enjoy.

ReputationRep:
    AS Physics has more maths at AS than Chemistry does, so in that sense, you might find Chemistry easier. I personally didn't find Chem AS a big jump from GCSE, I guess it all depends on what you enjoy and how you understand concepts :dontknow: A lot of the first sections of Chem AS is GCSE content anyway.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.