Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I've got an offer for LSE to study social anthropology and I really like the course structure but I've heard lots of bad things about the social life at LSE and the hostile environment.

The course is obviously the most important factor, but having a good social life and a traditional uni experience is still really important to me.

Is the social life at LSE really THAT bad?
    And is it so unfriendly that you won't make friends outside your course?

I don't know whether to accept my offer from UCL instead (I've heard the social life is better) even though I don't like the course as much?

Any thoughts or advice please?

ReputationRep:
    I have an offer from LSE for anthropology too! I spoke to a woman doing her PhD at LSE, before she had been at Edinburgh and she advised me to go for the best course and the one that suits you, rather than because of where it is and the social life. So, honestly I'd say go with the one with the course that you think you'll like more and that you can do for 3 years. Every uni has bad things about them and not everyone will enjoy where they are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miajoshi)
    Hey, I've got an offer for LSE to study social anthropology and I really like the course structure but I've heard lots of bad things about the social life at LSE and the hostile environment.

The course is obviously the most important factor, but having a good social life and a traditional uni experience is still really important to me.

Is the social life at LSE really THAT bad?
    And is it so unfriendly that you won't make friends outside your course?

I don't know whether to accept my offer from UCL instead (I've heard the social life is better) even though I don't like the course as much?

Any thoughts or advice please?
    Hi there,

I am currently studying social anthropology in my third year at LSE. And just thought I would get in touch to say it's really not that bad!

There are a lot of opportunities to get involved with different year groups and meet people from other courses, being in halls alone will enable this . Societies at LSE are really great and cater to all manner of interests - you could even set one up! Additionally you would probably take an outside option in your first year, a literature course, a language, a politics module etc. here you will be put with people not on your course straight away.

Where the anthropology dept. here at LSE is concerned there are lots of chances to meet and speak to your teachers and people in all year groups, as the dept. is so friendly and warm.

Your university experience is what you make it and nothing is guaranteed but LSE definitely won't stop you from having a good social life, if anything it may well make it easier. There is always something going on on campus - something to get involved in and the anthropology department offers what I think is a great extension of these opportunities.

If you love the course don't be put off by hearsay about social life, the course is really great and the social side naturally follows, in my time at LSE I have been lucky to make some very close friends from both my course and from other courses and I'm sure you would too!

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch, best, Jade.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Groganj)
    Hi there,

I am currently studying social anthropology in my third year at LSE. And just thought I would get in touch to say it's really not that bad!

There are a lot of opportunities to get involved with different year groups and meet people from other courses, being in halls alone will enable this . Societies at LSE are really great and cater to all manner of interests - you could even set one up! Additionally you would probably take an outside option in your first year, a literature course, a language, a politics module etc. here you will be put with people not on your course straight away.

Where the anthropology dept. here at LSE is concerned there are lots of chances to meet and speak to your teachers and people in all year groups, as the dept. is so friendly and warm.

Your university experience is what you make it and nothing is guaranteed but LSE definitely won't stop you from having a good social life, if anything it may well make it easier. There is always something going on on campus - something to get involved in and the anthropology department offers what I think is a great extension of these opportunities.

If you love the course don't be put off by hearsay about social life, the course is really great and the social side naturally follows, in my time at LSE I have been lucky to make some very close friends from both my course and from other courses and I'm sure you would too!

Any other questions, please don't hesitate to get in touch, best, Jade.
    Hi Jade,

I've just seen this, but thank you so much! That's so reassuring and I feel much better about firming LSE now.
    Are there quite a lot of societies that you can get involved in?
    Also, if you don't mind me asking, what are you planning to do with your anthro degree? It's one of those courses that doesn't seem to lead somewhere obvious.

Thank you!
    Mia

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 15, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.