The Student Room Group

PGCE bursary

Hello,

I am hoping to apply for a PGCE course at university and eventually teach secondary school mathematics. I believe I will be entitled to 20/25k, depending on my grade, amongst a tuition fee loan, maintenance grant and a maintenance loan. My questions are:

1) I was wondering whether this amount depends on other factors or if (almost) everyone receives this amount?
2) Apart from the interview with the university to be accepted on this course, are there any other hurdles to get through?
3) If I instead wanted to teach A-level at a College/Sixth Form, what would I further need to do after the PGCE?

Thanks
Hello,

We fund most PGCE's and as long as your course is one that's funded by us and you don't have a previous qualification at an equal level, you will definitely be entitled to tuition fee loan and maintenance loan, and depending on your household income, possibly maintenance grant as well.

Once you are accepted onto the course you would just need to apply for your student finance here:
https://www.gov.uk/apply-for-student-finance

We only fund courses so I'm not sure what you would need to do in regards to your actual employment.

Thanks
Thanks,
Also do you always give out the full amount or is that an 'upto' payment?
Hi,

As long as your fees are £9000 or less we will pay the full amount. The maintenance amounts can be different as they can be based on household income and can change depending on where you live etc.

As long as you have put accurate information into the calculator it should be about right, but be aware that the amounts could be slightly different, you won't know the exact amounts until your application is approved, when we will send you out a Notification of Entitlement letter with the exact amounts on it.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending