Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

if you were given a bill for missing a friends party , would you pay it? watch

ReputationRep:
    as most of you would have heard a five year old got given a bill for missing a classmate's party so just wondering if you were given a bill for missing a friends birthday , would you pay it or would you refuse?

ReputationRep:
    I swear it was only £15 or something. I would just spare the argument and pay it
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I am fed up of hearing about this. It's near from where I live. ANyone else would think there's nothing else newsworthy reporting about for now.

Anyway, no I wouldn't.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    No I wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    The idea of charging you is presumably that you have failed to fulfil your obligation of turning up to entertain their child. If the idea was for you to have fun, then it would make no sense to charge you because it makes no difference to them.

I can totally see why it's annoying though - if you know that someone is paying for you to be there, and you have formally ACCEPTED, you should at least have the courtesy to tell them you aren't coming.

As an adult, if a friend offered to pay for five of you to go to dinner, and you said yes, there's no way you just wouldn't turn up.

ReputationRep:
    has the world gone mad ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by channies)
    I swear it was only £15 or something. I would just spare the argument and pay it
    Yeah, it was only £15.
    And no i wouldnt pay it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on if the host was counting on people paying to get in to compensate for catering or renting the location or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    has the world gone mad ?
    Yeah didn't you hear? We're all on drugs

And no I wouldn't pay it, what tosh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    Yeah didn't you hear? We're all on drugs

And no I wouldn't pay it, what tosh.
    i expect they are not allowed to play Blind Man's Bluff any more to avoid offending the visually impaired community.

British Bulldog: has been replaced by MultiCultural Poodle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    i expect they are not allowed to play Blind Man's Bluff any more to avoid offending the visually impaired community.

British Bulldog: has been replaced by MultiCultural Poodle.
    In all honesty it wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if something similar has actually happened.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't let it get to that stage, I'd say "I'm sorry I let you down, if you can't find someone else to take my place I'll pay for it".

ReputationRep:
    Mabye I'd write a letter explaining my reasons why and to apologise, but that's as far as I would go.

ReputationRep:
    The parents made no attempt to cancel their acceptance and said 'they did not have contact details'. However, now they have a bill they seem able to contact them to complain!

It was very rude not to let the family know they could not attend especially as they had been told numbers had been finalised. However, the parent sending the bill was childish too as the place said they could have had additional time or food to make up for the fact the party was one short.

Neither set of parents have come out of this in a good light ...

In those circumstances, no.

ReputationRep:
    A penny a month? LOL.

But seriously no it's ridiculous.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    I remember being invited to someone's birthday party when I was the same age and said I'd go. My mum forgot. Nothing was ever said. I seem to remember it being at a soft play area or something.

If money was ever that much of an issue, then why the hell would you book something like this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by stehay)
    as most of you would have heard a five year old got given a bill for missing a classmate's party so just wondering if you were given a bill for missing a friends birthday , would you pay it or would you refuse?
    As long as you didn't sign a binding contract then absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    It depends.

That story in particular I do kind of understand - I think an invoice was extreme BUT I also think it was pretty poor of the parents to not let the other parent know that their child wasn't going to attend, if you're paying £15 a head and someone doesn't have the courtesy to let you know they won't be attending I think that's SO rude. If that was me I would be mortified and would have offered to pay it before even receiving any bill!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.