Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi guys!

I applied for medicine this year, but as expected, got rejections. I only put in 3 medicine options, and then put in biomedical science at Kings as my fourth choice and pharmacy at UCL for my fifth and got both of these two offers.

I need help or advice as to which offer I should firm. If I get the grades this year (i.e three A's or above), I'm most likely to take a gap year and reapply for medicine. If not, then I want to go into either and do a graduate entry.

Can someone please give me the pros and cons of each, considering the university the courses are at, and whether anyone knows anything about how long I would be on the pharmacy course (which is four years) before applying for a graduate entry at UCL.

Any input would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Do you want to be a doctor, or do you want to be a pharmacist or biomedical scientist? Think not about the short-term for now and make that decision.

If you want to be a doctor, ideally you should take the time to reapply. There are no guarantees that GEM courses will exist in four years time. The government has already reduced the number of places available for 2015 entry — I imagine this trend will continue as universities look to more cost effective ways of training medical doctors. It may still be around, in it's current or a reduced form, but no guarantees.

As such you should think about life working as a biomedical scientist or a pharmacist. If GEM is cancelled by the time you graduate, you'll have two options: to apply for a 5-year course (likely will less or no funding, as it currently stands no funding) which will cost upwards of £40k, or you have to drop the idea and work in those professions.

Reapplying for a 5-year course now is a far more cost effective — and more importantly less competitive — way of getting into medicine. Do everything you can to avoid the GEM route.

If you decide to pursue that route anyway, then either degree is fine. You may be able to earn a bit more money in the immediate years after graduation as a pharmacist, which might help you fund a GEM/5-year course. Biomedical science is a good basis to start GEM too. If you were to apply for GEM on either of these courses, you'd do it at the start of your final year.

I have to second the above. Taking a gap year and earning some money whilst you reapply for medicine would be the best option considering you get the grades.

GEM has an uncertain future and is considerably more competitive than undergrad medicine due to the reduced number of places.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.