Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have a 10 year old Honda, passed with no advisories last time.

Could I do better than a £29 Halford's MOT?

ReputationRep:
    Probably not, just find a trustworthy independent garage and they'd do it for probably a few quid more. Also I'd rather walk down the high street telling everyone I'm impotent than trust my Skoda to Halfords

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y333EEE)
    Probably not, just find a trustworthy independent garage and they'd do it for probably a few quid more. Also I'd rather walk down the high street telling everyone I'm impotent than trust my Skoda to Halfords
    My local indy offered me £52

Why would you pay the premium?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrackerJacker)
    I have a 10 year old Honda, passed with no advisories last time.

Could I do better than a £29 Halford's MOT?
    Wouldn't trust big places to be frank.............I pay £50 for my local garage who are quite reputability.
    Could try a council MOT place.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iqbal007)
    Wouldn't trust big places to be frank..............
    Why

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrackerJacker)
    Why
    Awful stories of people being ripped off........and paying high prices for unnecessary repairs. Some people just leave and got to another garage and find they've passed their MOT.

ReputationRep:
    I use the £29.99 places.
    I make a point of asking them if I can inspect the underneath of my own vehicle whilst it's on the ramp.
    As soon as you say this, the tester knows you're not a numpty and I get to look at areas that'd normally be difficult for me to see from the point of view of preventative maintenance.

ReputationRep:
    Ignore anybody that says the big places aren't the place to go. For repairs, I'd go local garage. For service/MOT, I go to halfrauds. They're quick and a lot more thorough than any local place I can find.

ReputationRep:
    I went to local council place for mine. £42. Came back with 1 advisory. Year before was an indy garage which had a couple of pages of advisories (previous owners choice of garage). I'll be going back to the council one next year I think.

ReputationRep:
    Its all been said pretty much, too many horror stories from friends/family/aquaintances who've been screwed over

ReputationRep:
    As others have said, a local independent garage is your best bet, I always take mine to my brother-in-laws brothers garage.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I know it's just an MOT, but never trust those cowboys at Halfords. Go literally anywhere else!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by monkeyman1990)
    I know it's just an MOT, but never trust those cowboys at Halfords. Go literally anywhere else!
    I totally agree.
    Ive heard too many horror stories at halfords to trust them.

ReputationRep:
    Try JustMOTs if you have one. They don't do repairs, as the name suggests, so have no reason to fail.

Also means their prices are super cheap at around £20-27

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ycs93)
    As others have said, a local independent garage is your best bet, I always take mine to my brother-in-laws brothers garage.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Has your car ever failed the MOT?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.