Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have £30k to use on my deposit and any associated fees etc

How much of that £30k should I keep for the deposit itself?

I have a £28k income

So the max property I could buy would be 5 times my income plus my deposit which would be £170k

Am I right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TrackerJacker)
    I have £30k to use on my deposit and any associated fees etc

How much of that £30k should I keep for the deposit itself?

I have a £28k income

So the max property I could buy would be 5 times my income plus my deposit which would be £170k

Am I right?
    Fees and expenses are likely to be around the 5k mark. Might be less now with changes to stamp duty.

ReputationRep:
    Unlikely to get 5x earning multiple - you'd be better off thinking 4x max, say £110-115k

A lawyer will be around £700 then there is stamp duty and other fees, a grand should do it. You'll need furniture in the first few months (ie bed/sofa and white goods if they aren't included), keep another couple of grand aside for that. So I'd say you could use £27k for deposit.

So about £150k max for the property.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Unlikely to get 5x earning multiple - you'd be better off thinking 4x max, say £110-115k

Why? I read that it is normal to be offered in the 3-5 times salary range

ReputationRep:
    Why? I read that it is normal to be offered in the 3-5 times salary range
    Because this isn't 2007 and your income isn't all that high. So your wage:living costs ratio is relatively high.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    Because this isn't 2007 and your income isn't all that high. So your wage:living costs ratio is relatively high.
    higher the income the greater the multiple likely to be offered?

ReputationRep:
    higher the income the greater the multiple likely to be offered?
    pretty much, although I doubt its easy for many people to get more than 4.5x at the minute.

Go and get a mortgage in principle - that'll say what they're willing to offer you.

Since you found people are typically offered 3-5x income, why'd you expect to be at the top of the range? Do you have an exceptionally good credit rating?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Quady)
    pretty much, although I doubt its easy for many people to get more than 4.5x at the minute.

Go and get a mortgage in principle - that'll say what they're willing to offer you.

Since you found people are typically offered 3-5x income, why'd you expect to be at the top of the range? Do you have an exceptionally good credit rating?
    I don't expect to be at the top of the range.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.